Wooden flooring - tools for the job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I layed an oak floor about 2 years ago using a hired porta nailer. Even though it gave a good finish I found it back breaking! This time I was hoping to buy an electrical nailer for approx £100. Am I waisting my time or is there anything out there that would do the job? The flooring is 18mm solid oak T & G. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unless you can pick up a bargain on ebay you are not going to get much of a floor nailer for £100!

You can get pneumatic nailers which would require less effort.

If you buy one on ebay you could then try to sell it on.

Thanks Flooringman. I take it the pnuematic nailer is still manual, just easier to drive the nail in with?

Tongue tite screws and a cordless drill ?

Did 32m with them over the last 2 weeks, seems (touch wood) to work ok, even if I did get through 1600 screws :eek:

Sponsored Links
The pneumatic nailer looks virtually the same as a manual one and you still have to strike the plunger - just not as hard.

I don't know if the one you first hired was a single blow machine but you can get them with a ratchet system which is easier to use.

Thanks for the replies. I might go for the tounge-tite option and it gives me an excuse to buy a new cordless drill! B&Q have a 18v Dewalt for £99 plus there's a 15% discount code available so it seems like a good deal. Does that sound like a reasonable option?

Yes - I have used the tongue-tite screws on small areas the only thing is it is time consuming.

Yes - I have used the tongue-tite screws on small areas the only thing is it is time consuming.

And unless you have a r/angle drill driver it's all but impossible to screw down the last few boards since you can't angle at 30 degs 6" off the wall your install finishes at.

Wouldn't it be just as problematic trying to get a floor nailer in at the same place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back