Porta Nailer Cleat Size for flooring (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need some advice on the correct size cleats to use on my recent purchase of a Porta-Nailer?

This is the model here. https://www.nailfastonline.co.uk/00.../PortaNailer-402-Flooring-Nailing-Kit-T-Form-

I am laying 18mm solid oak boards from woodpecker. This will be laid on a sub floor consisting of 22mm floorboards, 9mm plywood and then a 5mm fibreboard underlay.

The Porta-Nailer brand cleat sizes come in either 38mm or 50mm. Can anyone recommend what size I will need to buy? It's a bit of a dilemma as I don't want to penetrate too deep or I may hit one of the services, and if I go too shallow then the board won't be secured properly. Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
havent got a clue
but assuming 45% into the tounge top will be 12mm+9+5+22mm=48mm at 45% about 40% more so about 67mm so 50mm only just in the flooring

I used 50mm ones for solid oak to joists, using a nailer.

Expect that you may have to punch the odd cleat in by hand here and there, they don't always go in 100%.
I also used laminate flooring clamps to bring troublesome boards tight.

I would also get a cheap plug cutter for any areas where you have to screw the board down, it makes a neat finish.

Good luck(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back