Another wooden floor thread, looking for advice...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....and reassurance!

Just about to lay a solid wood floor in our house in France. Having watched a friend lay one, then help another friend lay one I feel confident tackling it myself but if anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them.

It's on the first floor, going to be laid on top of 22mm tongue and groove poplar which is also the ceiling for the rooms downstairs.
Floorboards are also 22mm, solid oak, 180 widths and various lengths up to 2 Metres.

The floor is pretty flat at the moment but I'd like to put underlay down primarily for acoustics but also to help with the level. Any recommendations here on thickness or brand?

I'm going to use a Porta Nailer, would 50mm nails work or should I go 38mm? Obviously I can't risk going through the ceiling below.
How many nails per metre? Or square metre?

I was going to mark 'true' lines across the floor to try and keep to those rather than follow the boards which might put my line off and up fanning out.

And the biggest issue I have is that the walls are stone and uneven. I will be scribing the boards and leaving a gap but because of the old stone walls there won't be any skirting, what's the best way to cover/hide the expansion gap?
One idea I have at the moment is to fill with mastic or some other product which allows expansion and then apply lime mortar over the top like beading.
Skirting boards are really not an option.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back