engineered or solid wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

im looking to lay new flooring. i will probably get a cat or a dog in the new year and wanted to know from the experts is real wood or engineered would be better.

i have noticed some engineered woods have a lacker on them and when scratched (with a key, sorry home base) the enamle flakes and looks realy bad. the solid marked easier but the marks look subtle and blend in.
i need to buy this in the next couple of weeks but after "testing" many samples in stores im not sure what to get, something solid that looks a bit rough when screatched or soemthing that scratches but looks ok.

can anyone advise as once its down....its down!

cheers,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
WoW,

well i feel well read on the subject, thank you both, especialy woodyoulike.My god you know what your talking about dont ya!

i have learnt a lot but im still unsure whats best for me, maybe the solid wood with an old as this will be protected and will wear natrualy. i dont like the thought of a lacker flaking and turing my floor grey!

any final thoughts form a dog owner? im just really worried that ill lay nice solid wooden floors then get a dog to destroy it..............
.........Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Wood Engineered is real wood too, and much more stable and suitable for many more areas than solid
Where do you plan to have to wood floor installed in, any areas with more moist?

What our pet loving clients have told us so far: all wish they had gone for wood many years earlier; hairs etc from dogs and cats are much easier to remove from floorcovering than on carpet and all animals quickly learn how to walk on a wood floor - which with an oiled finish is even less slippery than a lacquered one.

the wood flooring will be for the hallway, living room and dinning room.
no damp issues i know of and have layed a DPM under the new concrete and screed, plus a little bit of tanking, justin case :)

so have your pet loving clients ever said, i wish i had wood instead of engineered wood or vise versa?

i guess the down side to each is one will mark easier but take it better and one will mark less but the markings will look a bit worse?

im picturing a Labrador trotting over both floors and making tiny marks on the wood or chipping enamle off the engineered wood.

what to do, oh what to do......

No no, our clients say real wood is better than any other floor covering.

The modern wood-engineered floors are real wood, the top layer is made of solid wood (3.6 to 6mm thick), exactly the same as you would see/have with a 'total' solid wood floor.

In most cases wood-engineered floors are better suited than solid and once installed you will not notice the difference. And no difference in marking - and to be honest it is more often human beings damage the surface than pets ;) - never seen a pet wear high heels.

"No no, our clients say real wood is better than any other floor covering."

real wood as opposed to engineered wood? or real wood including engineered

if you want to see pets in high heal, just let me know. there is a real slutty pit bull near me, im sure she can dress up for as few chews :)

:):):):):):):):):):) [/url]

thanks Woodyoulike :)

so if im understanding this right, the engineered wood seems to be the best/ best preferred.
im tempted to put it in the kitchen as well with underfloor heating.

i have seen underfloor heating kits for timber flooring. just wanted to make sure wood in a kitchen isnt foolish.

thanks for all your help WUL, you dont fancy fitting my kitchen and flooring do ya, HAHA :)

cheers,

When your talking both about kitchens and UFH: wood-engineered is the way to go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back