SOLID WOOD AND BITUMEN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice would be really welcome - we have a bitumen floor so I understnd that we cant glue a solid wood floor to this therefore what is best option.

1) Fit an enginnered floor - the fitter at our local store advised this was best on bitumen flloor or

2)Can you fit a floating solid wood floor that is not glued down - does it have to be glued or can you buy solid wood floors that click together and float or does it have to be glued together possibly causing cupping etc as real wood expands with seasons.

any advice really welcome - we just fancied a solid floor but it seems engineered may be best. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I used to do floor laying for my uncle in the holidays and overnight/weekends when I was at college and we used to stick solid wood blocks down with bitumen. Synthaproof I think was best as if the floor was ever flooded the blocks stayed firmly stuck.

Problem is: you can't use Bitumen inside the house any longer - due to VOC regulations.

Sponsored Links
SYNTHAPRUFE is a DPM, not a adhesive:

"IKOpro Synthaprufe Original is a high performance, brush applied damp proofing emulsion containing synthetic rubber latex which provides a seamless waterproof and vapour resistant, black elastomeric membrane."

SYNTHAPRUFE is a DPM, not a adhesive:

"IKOpro Synthaprufe Original is a high performance, brush applied damp proofing emulsion containing synthetic rubber latex which provides a seamless waterproof and vapour resistant, black elastomeric membrane."

I had a little trouble with the Ruberoid link, but corrected it and a direct cut and past from their web page
•Performance adhesive for unsealed wood block flooring

My Uncle was using it until about 4 years ago when he retired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back