Engineered wood advice required please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there! Popping over from the plumbing and gas forum for some advice on my own house, hopefully I can get some advice to help.

I have a 13-year old house that weve recently bought and are renovating the downstairs. It's open plan, so we're laying the same flooring throughout. We have an existing insulated screed so and I'm fitting an overlay type wet underfloor system which is 22mm polystyrene sheets, 16mm pipe and an aluminium foil top. I was then planning to add 6mm of no more ply to create a decent base for an Herringbone engineered wood Oak finish.

I've had a lot of varying opinions on the flooring, it's hard to know where to start! I was planning on fitting a click type flooring as most of the thinner products (14mm ish) seem to be click type. Does anyone have any experience with click engineered wood and wet underfloor? One floorer I know has advised against it specifically in the Herringbone pattern. We have some Ibrido LVT samples but I'd rather have wood if possible. I'm happy to stick down the (wood) flooring if required but the extra height could cause issues and in all honesty I think I'd prefer a floating floor. The flooring would go in the hallway, kitchen, laundry room as well as the living/dining areas. It's about 45m2 and I was planning on not fitting any thresholds etc, just one continuous floor.

Also, if we go engineered wood how should I look to protect it? We're mainly worried about staining and although we don't have a dog we may possibly get one in the future.

I've spent hours and hours of my life trying to get this right and I really can't afford to mess this bit up. I really would appreciate any advice and opinions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back