Engineered wood and UFH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a floor with water-based UFH that I'm intending to lay an engineered wood finish on.

I rather like the look of beech, but someone from a floor supplier that I have some respect for has said that engineered beech isn't really so suitable for use on UFH as it's "less stable" than (say) oak or ash.

Are there any views from the forum on this matter?

Sponsored Links
I have UFH and I believe I read the same advice when I was researching which floor-covering. If you look on some manufacturers sites - Kahrs, Tarkett - you may see something there.

Beech is a rather "nervous" wood-species. where Oak can expand/shrink 3 - 4 mm per meter width, Beech is known to do this at a "speed" of 7mm per meter width.

Especially where UFH is concerned it therefore not recommended to use as floor-covering, too prone to cause troubles. Even when steamed and turned into Wood-Engineered

Sponsored Links
Yes, Beech (and birch) are large movement timbers.

I have seen it used successfully on UFH, but with narrow engineered boards, and careful control of the heating, though I still wouldn't recommend it in general.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back