Engineered wood floor & Kitchen Appliance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am considering a 20mm engineered oiled oak floor in the kitchen which will be floated on timbermate excel undrlay after the kitchen has been fitted.

Now I have read with appliances like Dishwashers and washing machines, to use plywood under these appliances in case they leak, but also because they stop the floor from expanding and contracting, is this true? if so, I have an american fridge freezer also, can this sit on the wood or would I need to put ply under this too?

The only issue is, the feet are very close to the front and if I have to leave an expansion gap between the ply and the oak also, I am pretty sure you'll b able to see the gap in front of the frige??

Any help or tips appreciated. ('just tile it' could be a valid answer!)

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
It's either a choice of risking cupping of the whole floor of showing a bit of plywood underneath you fridge.
If I was you I would not risk it and use plywood

Thanks woodyoulike. So really, floating wood floors can't be fitted in the household anywhere, with the likes of Sofa's, beds, wardrobes ect that would need to be sat on plywood?

I take it these issues are only with floated floors? a glued down floor would be ok?

Nope, just utilities which are "blocked" by walls. All the other items are: A) not that heavy and B) are not blocked by a wall.
Same applies for other installation methods

Sponsored Links
Sorry, what do you mean by 'blocked by walls'?

My sofa is extremely heavy (MDF sofa from Nabru) and is up against the wall?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just interested. :confused:

Well, I don't think there's a risk of your sofa spilling moist - as a fridge can do.
A sofa stands "free-standing" on a floor, a fridge and most other utilities are either firmly against a wall or in between kitchen units, restricting them moving along with the movement of the floor and therefore blocking the movement of this floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back