engineering codes

Hmm, sounds like a few people don't want engineers codes made public?

But there IS sometimes a need for an engineers code for a panel without involving the manufacturers.

Not everyone will screw up a panel just because they are using the engineers code.

no Mattylad, unless your a cowboy you reboot the panel everytime - no exceptions

Sponsored Links
Quote from an earlier post of mine -

"Still, go on then, use a 'found' Engineer code, have a play, mess it up, see what it costs you to get it corrected.

Mess it up, have a break-in, alarm does not go off, call the alarm company and moan about their system not working, engineer attends, looks at the Log, finds the changes, date and time do not 'marry up' with an engineer on site, insurance Co asks for a copy of the Log, whoops, NO insurance payout, unauthorised tampering with the alarm.

Now do you understand Engineer Codes?

PS
& yes the above has happened many times, people never learn, they always think they know best."

I forgot, there are only a very few professional alarm engineers here who take security seriously.

Read the above, step back and really think about what I've written.

Take over an alarm and not default and re-programme, all that is, is doing it 'on the cheap' to make a quick buck.

The difference between a fake & real handbag

If you're talking about a DiY, hell, why worry, do what you like, you know what DiY stands for don't you, Destroy it Yourself.

Hmm, sounds like a few people don't want engineers codes made public?

But there IS sometimes a need for an engineers code for a panel without involving the manufacturers.

Not everyone will screw up a panel just because they are using the engineers code.

That's a fair and valid point - but if a code is as easy to obtain as doing a 15 second search on google then I am guessing it is not only legit home owners who will be using the facility - which then starts to negate the value of having an alarm.

I admit I have known people with a certain manufacturer's unit who needed an anti-code / RNRR code and I have given them a code - but I KNEW the premises were theirs and that they no longer had a valid maintenance contract anyway. Not sure if I would dollop out engineers codes though.

I guess personal choice.

Mark

Mark[/quote]I admit I have known people with a certain manufacturer's unit who needed an anti-code / RNRR code and I have given them a code - but I KNEW the premises were theirs and that they no longer had a valid maintenance contract anyway. Not sure if I would dollop out engineers codes though.

I guess personal choice.I admit I have known people with a certain manufacturer's unit who needed an anti-code / RNRR code and I have given them a code - but I KNEW the premises were theirs and that they no longer had a valid maintenance contract anyway. Not sure if I would dollop out engineers codes though.

I guess personal choice.

It certainly is your choice.

Both the above examples are an instant sackable offence, call yourself an alarm engineer?

But as I have said " The difference between a fake & real handbag "

Sponsored Links
er... Atilla there are plenty of exceptions for using an engineers code where a reboot wont do anything.

A burglar alarm that uses engineers codes for configuration purposes & the owner who does not have a maintenance contract wants to change its setup for instance.

But then I reckon your thinking that noone except an alarm engineer would have any idea what they are doing. Are you also a heating engineer? lol.

This thread is just getting silly now.

We have engineer codes for a reason and the regs say no customer should be given it, monitored or not.

The fact still remains that alphaalarms was being a smart arse boasting about having another co's codes, if you were worth your salt alpha, you would'nt need the codes.

hope the co in question has taken appropriate legal action

It certainly is your choice.

Both the above examples are an instant sackable offence, call yourself an alarm engineer?

But as I have said " The difference between a fake & real handbag "

I didn't meant to rattle you so much - and I am unsure what great rule I have broken other than "Thou shalt not leave a potential customer un-fleeced"?

Giving someone I know who has no maintenance contract an RNRR code (useless to anyone else - or them for that matter 5 seconds later) because some greedy "engineer" wants £90 to give them the same code over the phone seemed perfectly reasonable to me. RNRR codes I understand are for REMOTE reset and able to be disclosed to a member of the public. I don't see any major threat to anyone or anything in letting someone have their alarm work again now they have replaced the battery (tripped anti-tamper).

In any event:-

No-one is in a position to sack me
No, I do not call myself an alarm engineer, it was just (disappointingly) simple to obtain the RNRR program from the manufacturer. Albeit for a legitimate use, they are fully aware I am not an alarm engineer.

<edited bit on second thoughts>

Anyway, you have made your point clear which I respect, likewise, I am quite at ease with what I will disclose and what I will not.

Blue skies.
Mark

what regs say that you cant give out engineer codes?

im no smart a***s by saying im willing to give them out! im only helping the sub by stoping large companys making silly money! i would never give a code out of a small company, only the large ones! mainly begining with "a" ;)
im more than aware we all can crash any system! so therefor im also helping the trade if i give them to the trade! crashing is time! time cost money!
i am more than aware this is a DIY furum but i know there are small companys on here that dont have a clue of most codes!

if the MODS think this thread is out of hand, then please do what you like! im only on here to help people and not upset

er... Atilla there are plenty of exceptions for using an engineers code where a reboot wont do anything.

simply no - you have to reboot or leave yourself wide open - who knows what else the outgoing firm left in there

A burglar alarm that uses engineers codes for configuration purposes & the owner who does not have a maintenance contract wants to change its setup for instance.

see above

But then I reckon your thinking that noone except an alarm engineer would have any idea what they are doing. Are you also a heating engineer? lol.

I care little what anybody else thinks.

what regs say that you cant give out engineer codes?

EN50131-4/ PD6662:2004

im no smart a***s by saying im willing to give them out! im only helping the sub by stoping large companys making silly money! i would never give a code out of a small company, only the large ones! mainly begining with "a" ;)

legal dept been in touch yet?

im more than aware we all can crash any system! so therefor im also helping the trade if i give them to the trade! crashing is time! time cost money!

see above for the reason

i am more than aware this is a DIY furum but i know there are small companys on here that dont have a clue of most codes!

like your friend - care to give us his last four digits? thought not.

ere ang on a mo chaps.

What sort of panels are we talking about here?

ere ang on a mo chaps.

What sort of panels are we talking about here?

well if its got an engineer code its not been a DIY install ........ and using my panel without my permission has serious repercutions (sic)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back