Engineer's obligations when installing a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering, does an engineer have a responsibility to make sure the heating system is cleaned out properly when fitting a new boiler?

Ours left us with a sludged up system, heating barely functioning, radiator valves leaking, etc, which has of course led to boiler parts failing. Engineer said he was done (he says he doesn't know what's wrong with our system) and to have it fixed under warranty. Boiler co came and said we need 'remedial work' done, ie. powerflush, before they'll fix it under warranty.

Do we have a right to demand some sort of refund from this engineer? Keeping in mind he never actually gave us a receipt for any of the work... he did register the installation though so there's a record of him doing it.

Note: I do not want this guy coming back and touching our system again, I'm just talking about financial compensation.

Thanks for advice!

Sponsored Links
It is a requirement to fit a new boiler to a clean system. Full stop. So there is no specific requirement to PF, but as a minimum there should be post install flushing.
Leaking valves may or may not be the responsibility of the RGI. Depends on the contract. Although he sounds a bit of a loony.

I would say to give him the opportunity to rectify, with the threat of court action to claim monies to pay a 3rd party if he does not comply. Someone will come along and say you HAVE to let him return. I am not entirely sure that is true, but is easier.

Everything above is based on the obvious notion that we only .hear one side of the story.

Thanks, and yes I'm sure there are two sides to this, but he is a stressful and stressed out person unlike anyone I have met before! We had paid him a lot of money to remove the radiators and manually flush them (on his recommendation), which is why I'm blaming those leaking valves on him.

I did actually insist that he stop by again twice to try and sort things out but there were only minor improvements. Think maybe he just needed to spend a lot longer on the cleaning process... unless it's some other problem. Would have been nice to know either way before he installed the boiler, we were completely ignoranr and assumed the new boiler was going to fix things.

If there's no exact standard for how cleaning has to been done before installation then I think we will just have to suck this up as learning experience. We don't want him coming back again. On the plus side, have learned a lot about heating systems since this all started ;) In the end, we blame ourselves for lack of research.

Thanks for your advice though!

As per the commissioning sheet in the boiler's installation manual, the system should be cleaned in accordance with BS7593. Has he filled in this sheet and signed to say he's done the work?

20180820_154157.jpg

Sponsored Links
Was he gas safe registered, what boiler was installed .
If really sludged up sounds like there was an issue with the heating system
Why did you change the boiler

Thanks, and yes I'm sure there are two sides to this, but he is a stressful and stressed out person unlike anyone I have met before! We had paid him a lot of money to remove the radiators and manually flush them (on his recommendation), which is why I'm blaming those leaking valves on him.
He did his best to clean the system...No fault of his own YOUR valves start leaking...(His fault too) .Now you want to blame him for not cleaning your system correctly ..but causing your joints to leak anyway????? No wonder he is stressed out

If there's no exact standard for how cleaning has to been done before installation then I think we will just have to suck this up as learning experience. We don't want him coming back again. On the plus side, have learned a lot about heating systems since this all started ;) In the end, we blame ourselves for lack of research.
Customers want Rolls Royce jobs at Robin Reliant prices!...Clean...is a bit subjective in CH systems...did you obtain quotes? Was he the cheapest?did you receive a breakdown of work he would carry out?

muggles: I have checked and yes we have that form signed and completed. Unfortunately, for one thing I can see that the temp he filled in for the return on the central heating couldn't possibly be accurate (says 67 but it was, and still is, closer to room temp)... I should have done more research and asked more questions. Thanks for the tip anyway.

durhamplumber: We paid this guy a comparatively mid to high rate for his work, so in your opinion it's normal to be left with a system that isn't functioning properly and water leaking out onto the floor in several places? Is that what we should expect? Is it impossible that there's someone out there who's a bit unscrupulous? I don't want to get into the finer points of this person's personality (and I never said he was 'a loony') so let's leave it there. All I wanted to know was if there was a standard for cleaning, and my question has been answered now.

Except the bit where you call the guy a loony

TBF, DP, anyone that refers a dirty boiler to a warranty is a loony :)

Removing radiators to clean is a system, IMO, is nuts. We KNOW there will be garbage left in all the pipework, which will then be redistributed. We KNOW manufacturers, some to a greater degree than others, are fussy about system cleanliness - everyone moans about them in the CC. So removing rads to flush before a new boiler is not really on. You cannot now leave a dirty system. It is not for the punter to determine the correct course of action, it is to the "professional".

There is always a question mark re rad valves leaking. Did he advise on changing them, Did they look bad? Which is why I made my initial comment

Last edited:
By any chance did you have an open vented system before and now have a sealed system ? sorry that too many seem to be jumping on your back when you are only asking an understandable question, if you move from open vented to sealed there is a good chance that the valves will leak

If you had a back boiler.your system will be full of "treacle".If your engineer now has mental health issues,not sure where you go next.

He should flush the system out using fresh water. Best to turn off all rads and have them on one by at a time sending main pressure water through each rad, and hit the bottom of the rad with a rubber mallet to dislodge any crud. That will get rid of big bits. Then fit a filter on the boiler return and pour in X900 and X100. Run system and then empty filter. After a few months empty filter. Empty filter every year.

Removing radiators to clean is a system, IMO, is nuts. We KNOW there will be garbage left in all the pipework, which will then be redistributed.
I don't see anything wrong with removing rads to clean them, provided the system is flushed afterwards to remove sludge from the pipes. Flushing water must slow down in the rads even doing one at a time, and I think you'd get more sludge out by removing, hosing through and upending a few times. Hit with a rubber hammer as well if you think it needs it.

I don't see anything wrong with removing rads to clean them, provided the system is flushed afterwards to remove sludge from the pipes. Flushing water must slow down in the rads even doing one at a time, and I think you'd get more sludge out by removing, hosing through and upending a few times. Hit with a rubber hammer as well if you think it needs it.

Of course. There nothing wrong with removing the rads, provided the system is cleaned. But, frankly, he didn't.

Personally, I believe the time is better spent doing a proper chem flush or Power flush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back