Viessmann Boiler questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our 15 year old boiler has finally given up the ghost and so we're getting quotes for a new Combi boiler to take its place.

We've just had a visit from an engineer who is an accredited Viessman installer. He said they're great boilers which have a 10 year warranty. I hadn't heard of them before so I wondered what everyone thinks of them? Would you say a Vitodens 100 35kwh is better than a Worcester Bosch 42cdi (the other one we've been offered)?

The 2nd thing is that the aforementioned engineer has also said that we don't need to power flush our system before installing a new boiler. He said it isn't required for the Viessman warranty and we would just be wasting our money - he also said we don't really need a magnaclean either. He has included a flush of our system using mains water in his quote.

We're still planning to get a couple more quotes but I'm really confused. What is the best brand and should we powerflush and get the magna clean installed?

The Viessmann engineer has great feedback on checkatrade (almost 10 out of 10 from over 140 reviews) and I was impressed with him but I'm very wary about his view on the power flush and magna clean issues

Sponsored Links
I would take the viessmann over the worcsster. And i would fit a magnaclean. Powerflush depends on how filthy the existing system is and may not be needed.

The Viessmann engineer has great feedback on checkatrade (almost 10 out of 10 from over 140 reviews)
don't believe everything you read , depends where the feedback comes from and for what jobs .

There are many makes out there that are better than WB, Viessmann being one of them, although if you can stretch to it the Vitodens 200-W is the one to go for, as it's going to be much more efficient in use if it's been installed correctly. All systems need to be flushed before any new boiler is installed - if a component fails and the water is found to be dirty, the warranty will be invalidated

If you can't stretch to buying a Vitodens 200, then go for an Intergas ECO RF 36. 10 year warranty no matter who installs it, upgradeable to 15 years for an extra £300, and also an excellent boiler.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately Power Flushing is just one way of cleaning a system.

Most only need chemical cleaning and flushing out with mains water pressure.

Its not really the name on what is being done but exactly how its being done and what chemicals are being used.

Some installers just turn on a power flushing pump while they are installing a boiler and call that a power flush.

Usually the only time a power flush is likely to be needed is when the previous boiler failed as a result of sludge.

Tony

sually the only time a power flush is likely to be needed is when the previous boiler failed as a result of sludge.

Or the radiators are sludged up and stay cold in the middle(y)
Some boilers will keep chugging away despite this:)

Rajan, what boiler and model do you have at present?
And what us wrong with it. Often an installer might choose to sell you a new boiler if he/ she is not hands on with repairs. I look after boiler some of them 30 years old and still going strong

As Muggles says, water quality needs to be good else you could have problems. Look at a benchmark logbook. It requires an installer to enter details of cleaners used. If dirty water kills the new boiler, no matter what is installed, there could be subsequent quibbles following a dirt related failure

Last edited:
Your installer may be correct a powerflush may well not be necessary.
A mains flush is often sufficient, although I would always at least run a little chemical through and hot/cold and mains flush.
Install a spirotech mb3 filter.
Viessmann have been good with their warranty, especially with regards to dirty systems. This is still no reason not to have a clean system.
Afaik the 100 still has 5 years warranty as standard which can be upgraded to 10 for around £200.
This may have changed though as the 050 range now has 7 years.

i can just remember when they first come out ( can't remember how long )and had no end of problems and the manual looked like it was written by a ten year old , i haven't even seen one since so i hope they have changed and by the sounds of it they have ( i hope ??????? )

i can just remember when they first come out ( can't remember how long )and had no end of problems and the manual looked like it was written by a ten year old , i haven't even seen one since so i hope they have changed and by the sounds of it they have ( i hope ??????? )
The new 200 looks quite shiny...I'm tempted to start offering them as a premium option for people who aren't looking to spend as little as possible. 19:1 modulation (yes, 19:1 - a 35kW will go down to 1.8kW) makes them ideal for flats and apartments with very low heating requirements. I've got no issue with the current manual

8 out of 10 boilers I fit are Viessmann..... 1 in 100 are worcester.

I always offer a choice of minimum two different manufacturers, (I suspect the price difference and the longer warranty period between say, the viessmann and the worcester, swings it for the viessmann)

Get a magnetic filter and branded e.g. Fernox/Sentinel corrosion inhibitor into the system once cleaned.

The manuals on the early models I think we're literally word for word translated from German.

You really do need a flush to stop the heat exchanger getting blocked
+1 the Viessman are good boilers but they dont handle contaminated water well at all, put them on a clean system and you have a winner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back