Engineers scribers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so this is my first post on here so please forgive any mistakes in forum etiquette.
I have to write a project about engineers tools and one of the ones need to write about is engineers scribers. So far most of the information has been easy to come by, but on the angled double ended scribers i have a question. When using a straight tipped scriber a ruler or square is used to guide the scriber and keep the scribed line accurate. But when using an angled scriber, which i understand is used for marking in confined spaces such as holes and recesses, how do you guide the scriber so the marked line is accurate? Surely if the space is so confined you need an angled tip scriber then you cant get a ruler in there.

Hope someone can help with this, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its used to scribe a mark in an area which you cant get to.....for example, if you have a steel rule held against a metal block, you can scribe to the top of the rule but if the bottom edge is inaccessible, this is where the cranked end comes into play. In areas like this, the item would be coated with engineers blue marking fluid - and the scratch is made on that, rather than the metal itself.
John :)

An engineering scriber, can be used manually (normally knurled in the holding position) in the hand, or fixed in a scribing block and used on a flat bed, often called a surface or layout table, or on the bed of a lathe. The object being to mark up a job prior to machining. This allows squares or setting edges to be used to run the machined edges of these scribing blocks against. So if the block is run against a 90 deg edge(set to the face) you can scribe a 90 deg line to said face, similarly if the edge is parallel to the face then you can mark a parallel line etc. etc. The offset point of the scriber allows for more flexibility in getting to awkward places.
That's it in essence but without any detail from an engineers point of view, but the subject is vast and if your writing a paper on it, how in depth do you have to go? ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Yup an engineers scriber is just what it says it's used for marking out if you need to mark a line just get a pocket scriber kit fits back in your pocket when you're finished

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back