Enlarging a Loft Hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has asked me if I could enlarge the loft hatch in her top floor flat as the existing one is only 23" square and very difficult to get through once the ladder is in place.

Over the weekend I had a look but the roof is supported with pre-fabricated roof trusses at something like 24" centres which is why the existing hatch is so small.

I can't make it longer in the same direction as the trusses because the hatch is in a narrow hallway so to do anything I would have to cut away a section of one of the trusses.

In a conventional roof I'd be happy to do this and then trim between the adjacent ceiling joists but I'm a bit nervous of these pre-fabricated trusses.

Is it possible / safe to cut a section out of one and then trim between the two trusses either side to put back some support?

The section to be removed is only the ceiling support timber (ie it would not involve any of the vertical members).

Any advice would be appreciated.

John.

Sponsored Links
Best advice would be don't.

Truss's rely on all the members that make them up and removing a bottom chord (ceiling tie) would compromise the truss potentially causing the truss to spread outwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back