Planning loft hatch - confused by roof structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Victorian terrace - confused about roof structure!

Hi

I'm investigating how to go about putting a loft hatch with ladder into our house. It's a terrace from around 1900, two rooms downstairs, three beds up. Whole house is about 4.5m wide and about 8m front to back on the main structure. It's one house in a street of dozens of similar terraces.

Having made first investigation of the (incredibly mucky) loft I'm confused by what's going on with the structure. I expected to find joists running from front to back (i.e. perpendicular to the line of adjoining houses) with a couple of support trusses.

What I've found is two (what I'd call) Queen trusses - spaced a third of the house widthapart. There appears to be no structural wall underneath the centre of the truss.

Secondly I've found wooden members running perpendicular to the trusses - these are approx 1.2" x 3" in cross section, spaced at approx 15". What I haven't found (which I was expecting) were joists running parallel with the two trusses.

I'm looking for a sense check that I'm not missing something before I start thinking about locating a loft hatch and ladder. Any comments - this must be a common approach (given the number of such houses in the area) - it just doesn't chime with what I've read about roof structures online.

Keith

Sponsored Links
Ha! Thanks, at least I'm not missing something.

Next question is that putting in a hatch is going to mean cutting two of the joists. Assuming i build a frame around the hatch using the same size timber as the joists is this likely to cause any problems?

K.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back