Entering loft after boarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've finally got back into the loft after falling through (see disasters section) and have almost finished putting down the base insulation. I've bought the loftzone kit which raises the deck by 270mm.

I've had this loft ladder fitted:
loftladder01.png

Currently I can stand on the top rung, and raise my left knee over the edge and onto a loft board. But if I board out the loft using the kit all the way to the hatch, I can't see how I'll get into the loft - it will be too high.

What's the best way to get around this?
All of the pics I've seen online using the kit use a loft ladder that's attached to a joist inside and not to the loft hatch, like this:
loftladder02.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can't do it; that loft ladder isn't designed for a loft leg conversion. You need to work with the type of ladder that you're showing in the picture I'm afraid.

One of the reason that I never use loft legs.

You can't do it
I've had a bit more thinking time since I posted the thread. What about a flat area before the raised area? If I screw loftboards directly into the joists immediately around the area around the hatch, then have the raised deck a little further away? Might give me some space to get up into the loft.

You only need to create a step in front of the ladders, not around the whole area, but essentially, the idea would work. Move the raised area back about 9", and you'd have a step to get up to the raised loft area.

Sponsored Links
You only need to create a step in front of the ladders, not around the whole area, but essentially, the idea would work. Move the raised area back about 9", and you'd have a step to get up to the raised loft area.
I planned to do it at least to the the sides, mainly because the front is limited by a beam (old pic, before I removed everything):
IMG_1438.jpg

Consider making yourself some sort of grab-handles, fitting between the raised floor and the rafters. Idea is that as you climb the ladder you move your hands from the ladder to these handles and keep climbing and eventually step from the top rung of the ladder onto the raised floor.

As been said, make an area straight into joists as a step in front of the loft ladder. If it's double insulated just remove one layer of insulation at that area.

So I've almost finished boarding the loft and am looking to make the stepped area.

MdwdxGQ.jpg

dZLRL2s.jpg

GKTDKaN.jpg

The supports for the hatch sit about 10mm higher than the rest of the joists, so I have to avoid those ones. I was looking at adding some extra noggins in between the joists to support some cut pieces of loftboard.

Anything to watch out for? Or is it all fairly straightforward?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back