Enthusiastic idiot contemplates bathroom alterations attempt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought a house which needs an absolute ton of work. First on the agenda is the bathroom which was altered by previous owner to make it more accessible to his disabled wife. In doing so he removed the bath and fitted a large shower cubicle and moved the sink.
We want to rip it out and reinstate the bath, and move the sink back to the original position, fitting all new sanitary ware, new shower to work with combi boiler, towel rail etc etc.
I haven't got a clue what I am doing, is this the kind of thing that should be attempted by a cretin or should I leave it to the professionals?
Any advice would be hugely appreciated as I have no idea where to start!

Sponsored Links
I think the answer is obvious.

However please post before and after photos if you do give it a go :LOL:

If you've got no experience in DIY then a refitting the bathroom is a leap in the dark. It's not clear what you have or haven't done before, saying you haven't got a clue doesn't inspire confidence in your abilities!

I suggest going to the likes of wickes / BnQ etc and seeing what you want, then calling some local (hopefully recomended) plumbers / builders to get quotes

I have never attempted pipework before, or indeed anything more than changing a tap and a bit of tiling where bathrooms are concerned!
We are trying to do it all on a very tight budget so I am going to do all of the ripping out myself but I think you have made me feel better about getting someone in to do the actual plumbing in bit, leaving me to make a dogs dinner of the tiling when they have finished!
I was going to box around the bath and tile it instead of having a bath panel but then I started thinking about fixing leaks and changing taps in the future if I did that, I suppose it would mean smashing all of the tiling off unless there is a cunning way of creating an access panel. Any thoughts? And would I need to tile the floor after the alterations but before the sanitary ware went in?

Sponsored Links
First fix it get all your pipes and waste into place. Usually fit the bath as well.

Then you would tile

Then is second fix which is connecting everything up.

If you're on a budget then keep it simple. Exposed shower mixer, pedestal basin, close coupled toilet and cistern. Basically avoid anything which requires a ton of chasing.

If you're that inexperienced it will cost you a lot more in the long run.

Get quotes and advice before buying anything as well.

...I suppose it would mean smashing all of the tiling off unless there is a cunning way of creating an access panel. Any thoughts? And would I need to tile the floor after the alterations but before the sanitary ware went in?
Yes there is, tile the panel and add kickboards (like in a kitchen) and silicone the prepared tiled panel, so it can be taken off in the future without cracking any.

.....then calling some local (hopefully recomended) plumbers / builders to get quotes

Why would he/she ever in a million years need to contact any builder in regards this works?

Because a plumber might not be interested in tiling and other work required when the old suite is removed. A competant jack of all trades builder can probably do it all to a reasonable standard

Because a plumber might not be interested in tiling and other work required when the old suite is removed. A competant jack of all trades builder can probably do it all to a reasonable standard

Tiling is the easy bit, are you now suggesting the op get someone unqualified to do the job? A cowboy?

Just one question for you skhudy, do you work in an office?

Tiling is the easy bit, are you now suggesting the op get someone unqualified to do the job? A cowboy?

Not a cowboy thats why I said to get recommendations.

I work in an office. In my spare time I've done nearly the a-z in DIY I.e bathrooms, kitchens, plastering ,doors, replumbed my house, put in my driveway etc. I don't see the relevance

I work in an office. In my spare time I've done nearly the a-z in DIY I.e bathrooms, kitchens, plastering ,doors, replumbed my house, put in my driveway etc. I don't see the relevance
Do not take this personally, I mod on two other DIY based forums and see this a lot on here.

If you are a professional that is office based, how have you got time to be giving out incorrect advice of this nature and/or why are you doing it in your spare time?

When nearly everyone else in the UK has finished a working week, goes and does something stimulating away from work, millions of different ways to have fun etc

What compels to to give bad advice on a subject you have admitted you know very little about?

Genuine question.

If you are a professional that is office based, how have you got time to be giving out incorrect advice of this nature and/or why are you doing it in your spare time?

When nearly everyone else in the UK has finished a working week, goes and does something stimulating away from work, millions of different ways to have fun etc

What compels to to give bad advice on a subject you have admitted you know very little about?
I'm stumped, What bad advice did I give? How can I know little about it if I've replaced whole bathrooms? I said to look for someone recommended because the OP didn't seem to have the DIY skills? you seem to take it a bad way because I implyed you don't need a plumber to renovate / replace a bathroom! - chill out I'm not attacking your trade!

I used the word builder - in London that's what most of the people I know of do, get a builder in, the builders normally work with a teams where the main "builder" is a competent 'jack of all trades' coordinating a plumber, carpenter, tiler, brickie working for him on different jobs at any one time, and mucking in when required

Conversely I know of plumber who will do all the plumbing side, but not interested in the tiling (which is a trade in itself) and the other bells and whistles in gutting and replacing a bathroom

Why am I doing DIY in my spare time?geez because I'm competent and good enough to be doing it, so why not!? and have been for ~ 25 years in various properties for parents / myself - Genuine answer!

These forums are not just for "professionals" to give advice / ideas, if you think anyone's advice is that bad / dangerous / wrong please use the alert mods button at the bottom

I had a general builder put a complete bathroom suite in

Moved everything around so a bit of work involved. Included plastering the ceiling and replacing the window.. Even soldered the pipework

Did a great job - just saying!

I genuinely do not understand how or why either of you have time to argue with someone thay have never met whether you work in an office or in any other building/workplace format. Thank you for the advice chaps... but seriously!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back