Entirely new floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! My first post. I need advice. I'm not a builder.

I live in a victorian house which has a kitchen on the ground floor at the back of the house, and a bathroom directly above it. Both rooms have steps going down into them. I've attached a drawing to illustrate. Each room is about 3 x 2.5m.

I want to raise the kitchen floor to be the same level as the rest of the ground floor and eliminate the step. But in order to do that I'd need to raise the kitchen ceiling/bathroom floor too. Otherwise there's not enough space to stand in the kitchen.

To do this, I would like to build an entirely new floor (joists and all) for the bathroom about 30cm higher than the one I have now. Then, at a later date, I can rip the old bathroom floor out/kitchen ceiling out. Then raise the kitchen floor. I'm totally fine with redoing all the plumbing in the bathroom and kitchen.

Has anyone here done something like this before? What was your experience? How did you do it? Who is best suited for the job, a builder or a carpenter? What I need to be wary of? Am I crazy?

Any advice or tips will be gratefully received!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
Hey big-all!

Thanks for the reply.

The ceiling height of the bathroom is (currently) just over 270cm. If I raised the floor around 25-30cm, it'd still have over 240cm of ceiling height which should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back