entry system camera wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is the correct section,
I am preparing to electrify my gate operation,
I have taken armoured cable to both gates [in ducting] but need to know what other cables I need to pull through, is 6 core telephone cable suitable for a video entry set up? cable length is 15m, any advice please.

I do intend to use a sparky when all cables are ready.

Sponsored Links
depends what kit your going to use - some is 2 wire some is 12 pair and coax

I agree, depends what kit you in tend to use. 2-wire digital types are freely availabe and easy to fit/connect. With regard to the gate operation, I'm assuming you are automating them? Are you using buried or gate leaf mounted operators? It doesn't matter really as long as you have allowed for leaf size and weight and 'sized' the operators correctly.
As far as using a 'sparky' to do the work, I would recommend you use him to carry out the power feed work and use a security contractor with experience in gate automation to carry out the rest of the install and commission correctly. I am a City and Guilds qualified electrician and if, I hadn't had 13yrs working in the security industry, I wouldn't have felt comfortable dealing with this in it's entirety!
On the flip side, make sure the security contractor has the relevant experience in this field also.
Most automatic gate setups will require a power feed to one side of the gate (I'm assuming you have 2 gate leaves here) to feed the control unit. All other cabling will be in and around the gate itself to connect the operators, safety loops or photcells, and any override switches. The entry system will include a facility to connect an 'opening' pair to the control unit to give the gates the open command.
Personally, I would recommend an audio only entry phone and a seperate CCTV camera to give you an overview of the gate approach area. Video entry phones only give you a very small area for recognition (usually the face) and nothing else. Using a seperate camera will require a dedicated monitor however and this may not suit your needs so I guess you are best place to decide what you personally want from the system.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back