Eolys tank location.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Hit something in the road today while driving through the snow. Might have been a lump of ice.
It's caused some damage underneath the van, citroe n berlingo mk3.
There's a dent in what looks like a small radiator and broke the plastic cover over w hat I think is the eolys tank all on the offside.
Just interested to see what I broke before going to the dealer. This could be an insurance job!!
Warning light now coming up with message saying dp filter in danger of blocking.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
HDi models are likely to have a fuel cooler radiator (flat thing) on the underside - I suspect thats what you are referring to.
I've never seen one on a Berlingo though - never needed to look!
John :)

cheers, that makes sense,
called the garage this morning and mechanic said to give it a burn up the duel carriageway, lights now off, he thinks coincidence.
The cooler looks really exposed though, no cover to protect. Its bound to get damaged right behind the front wheel!!

Aye, its a bit of a corny place to put it!
If the radiator is made from aluminium (ala VAG stuff) then salt will enjoy making it porous so I think a replacement cover would be a good idea.
The Eloys tank (if it has one) is moulded with the original diesel tank I think, and usually the dealer is called in to recharge it (naturally). Periodically the fluid is injected into the fuel stream to help cleanse it, but I have no idea how effective it is. Trucks use an additive called AdBlue which has its own tank, and you can fill that one up yourself. Trucks kicking out loads of water vapour are consuming AdBlue by the bucketful.

Sponsored Links
Eolys helps with regeneration of the particulate filter, AdBlue helps in reducing oxides of Nitrogen, as far as I'm aware. Eolys is peculiar to PSA and yes, I think the tank is located very close to the main fuel tank. Certainly if you'd run out of Eolys, I'd expect a warning about the particulate filter being about to block up to come on the dash.

The Eloys system is a bit of a black art to me - I've no idea what the fluid is chemically but so far as I know it makes the particulate filter run so hot that it burns away the grot within....chucking it out into the atmosphere where it was heading for in the first place!
At the end of the day I have submitted Peugeots for MOT with the particulate lamp on (for years in one case) and they have both sailed through the MOT anyway.....
AdBlue does reduce the oxides of nitrogen, as you say. Again I don't know what it is chemically but reducing the combustion temperature lowers the NOx - and I guess this is what it does.

Eolys is some sort of Cerium and Iron compound dissolved in Isoparafin. It does put the stuff back into the atmosphere, but not as "soot". I think the problem is that incomplete combustion of excess diesel forms soot at low temperatures, which goes into making visible smoke and all these little "PM10" and "PM2.5" particles that cause all sorts of breathing and lung disorders. The idea is to trap them in the particulate filter and then burn them off at high temperature so that they form CO2 instead, rather than staying as microscopic little blobs of carbon. Obviously, CO2 isn't without its problems, but at least local air quality is better.

I'm pretty certain AdBlue is Urea. No idea how it reduces NOx though!

I have submitted Peugeot's for MOT with the particulate lamp on (for years in one case) and they have both sailed through the MOT anyway.....

Is that still the case with you guys?

Sure is - the vehicles are Peugeot 406's - diesel estates, one on a 'Y' plate and one on an 02.
I think they are 1.9's but not certain......either way, both anti pollution lamps are on, performance isn't affected and there's no problems with the emissions.
I didn't have my boot on the sample pipe either :p (but thats been done before) :D

Are you sure they are DPF Waring lights? I didn't think they fitted those in 2002! Normally, if the DPF regeneration system fails, you'll be lucky to get 1000 miles before the filter blocks completely. I had a Peugeot 807 with one in about 2006, I think. Light came on and a few hundred miles later I was struggling to do 20 up hills because so little gas was getting through it.

The 2.0. 8 valve Hdi engines don't normally have a DPF but the 2.2s do.

Peter

The only sign that comes up on the dash - and stays on - says 'anti pollution fault'......so I thought it must be the DPF :confused:
What else could it be?

Could be anything to do with engine management I think. They put that damned light on for anything that could possibly adversely affect emissions performance - airflow meter, cat, lambda sensor, you name it!

Sponsored Links
Back