EPC Insulation Assumptions - Building Regs 2002?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a flat which I bought “new” in 2003 after an old social club was converted into 18 flats. The conversion was definitely done to Building Regulations at the time, and the Decision Date was 6 Sep 2002.

I had an EPC done in December 2017, which resulted in a D 55 which, at the time, was fine. However, it was based upon assumptions with respect to insulation, (i.e. none, or poor), and stated that, if it was insulated internally, the rating would be C 70 and, as more notice is being taken of EPC ratings, a C 70 would be preferable to a D 55.

These are the relevant lines in the EPC:

Walls: Solid brick, as built, no insulation, (assumed) 1 star

Walls: Solid brick, as built, insulation, (assumed) 2 stars

Roof: Pitched, no insulation, (assumed) 1 star

It was a long time ago, but I am convinced that, during the build, I saw insulation on the internal walls before they were plastered, and in the roof space before the internal covering was fixed, (plastered). I am also presuming that, in order to meet the U values required by the building regulations at the time, the walls and roof would have to have been insulated.

My question is, am I right in my assumption that the walls and pitched roof are highly likely to have been insulated, and is it possible to get a copy of the building regulations plan which would have specified said insulation.

If I can find the “proof”, and show it to the assessor, I could have a new EPC which would state that the walls and roof are insulated and, hopefully show a rating of C 70.

I hope that makes sense, and look forward to any information and advice.

Sponsored Links
Try removing a socket and looking for insulation in the wall.

It was a 'change of use', so even if compliant, the standard for compliance may have been lower. Either way, the only sure way of knowing what was actually done is to take a look.

Find an unobtrusive spot and push a core drill in. You'll soon know and can use it as evidence if insulation is found.

Sponsored Links
If the regs then followed the same pattern as current, the standards for refurb were lower than for new build. That being said, the EPC measuring system is so shoddy that any insulation found would probably jack your score up.

Cant you just change the lightbulbs or the boiler control to get up to the C? Or find a better assessor who will
play the game.

Slightly O/T but this just goes to show how ridiculous the EPC system is. Many assessors are clueless about building construction methods, and just look at their lists of likely levels of insulation depending on the approximate age of the building. For example, how many actually bother to go upstairs, climb up to the loft trap door and check the thickness of insulation?

Apparently there are short internet courses where, for £899, a 'guaranteed 100% pass' can be obtained for three or four days 'tuition'.

The system is just a big paper-pushing, tick-box scam which offers nothing of value, except to the assessors bank accounts and course organisers

Totally agree. The character who did mine had loft insulation marked down as <100mm til I dragged him up there and showed him the 10" timbers full to the brim with rockwool (I stored a lot of stuff in that attic :) )
It's actually a great shame- if the EPC inspectors had a clue they could be pointing out easy effective wins to householders instead of telling them to spend £10k on EWI to save £300 pa on heating costs.

Yes Iv'e just had a run in with one of the tozzerz, when I questioned the EPC and asked to be shown how it was worked out, U values etc, she replied no need I have a Phd but didn't say what in. Ranting on to me that I should get a ASHP, I said where, nowhere on property more than 1m from door, window or boundry, maybee a LPG bulk tank she says, ok where do we site the tank I asks " in the garden there" me no chance not 3m from boundry or other scource of ignition, ie outbuilding or shed and certainly not within direct line of sight for tanker driver to fill up. "Maybe you could consider a biomass boiler" at that point this being a 2 bedroom mid terrace cottage off gas grid she was shown the door PHD and all.

Update:

My agent discussed this with a new, (to him), assessor, who said that many properties have the wrong rating because the assessors have put the wrong date for "age". He was reasonably confident that, on mine, the previous assessor would have put the actual age of the building, (1900 or so), rather than the time of conversion to flats, (2003).

Sure enough, he did an EPC inspection, put the "correct" date in, and it's now a high C, (74 IIRC).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back