EPDM prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im doing a garden office / cabin in EPDM (Carlisle Syntec brand)

The rubber has a film of silvery dust on it -I guess its a release agent like talcum powder to stop it sticking.

Im wondering if the rubber needs washing to clean this off before sticking down to the roof.

Im using the waterbased adhesive for the flat areas and contact adhesive for edges and upstands.

Sponsored Links
As long as you glue both the timber and the rubber, all you need do is brush the talc off with a soft broom.

Sponsored Links
As long as you glue both the timber and the rubber, all you need do is brush the talc off with a soft broom.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you only need to glue both roof and rubber for the edges, where you're using contact adhesive? I just applied the water-based to the deck, with a roller.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you only need to glue both roof and rubber for the edges, where you're using contact adhesive? I just applied the water-based to the deck, with a roller.
Did you find the water based deck adhesive stuck well?

And did your rubber have this silvery dust on it?

Im gluing onto OSB board

Did you find the water based deck adhesive stuck well?

And did your rubber have this silvery dust on it?

Im gluing onto OSB board
Yes, it stuck very well and is still stuck four years on. The important thing is for the OSB to be absolutely dry.

I do remember a small dusting of talc here and there, but I didn't do anything about it.

I'd like to see a reply from MW Roofline, because he is a roofer and I am not.

We started doing epdm roofs when they came on the scene in the uk about 15 years ago and the firestone training video said glue deck and rubber. Then Permaroof changed it and said only glue deck but cause we’re set in our ways we’ve carried on doing both because we think it’s easier for the glue to prematurely dry with dust and talc if glued onto the deck only. Best thing is you do whatever the instructions are and don’t listen to us!
Saying that we stopped doing rubber roofs about 5 years ago because there is always someone cheaper now that Dave the greengrocer can buy direct and watch a video on YouTube.

We started doing epdm roofs when they came on the scene in the uk about 15 years ago and the firestone training video said glue deck and rubber. Then Permaroof changed it and said only glue deck but cause we’re set in our ways we’ve carried on doing both because we think it’s easier for the glue to prematurely dry with dust and talc if glued onto the deck only. Best thing is you do whatever the instructions are and don’t listen to us!
Saying that we stopped doing rubber roofs about 5 years ago because there is always someone cheaper now that Dave the greengrocer can buy direct and watch a video on YouTube.

Thanks for that -really useful. Ive got some biggish offcuts so I think I will try doing both deck and rubber and see how that works.

I will also brush off the talc as best I can -see if that helps.

I can appreciate your comment how its not a great product for pros to use now that DIYers and Dave the greengrocer has access to videos and material suppliers.

I imagine it means pros probably move towards products like Sarnafil.

Video's or youtube Iv'e seen some bad diy efforts on the rubber roofing over the years, I only ever glue the OSB. deck if I am using water based adhesive.

Video's or youtube Iv'e seen some bad diy efforts on the rubber roofing over the years, I only ever glue the OSB. deck if I am using water based adhesive.

Do pros use the waterbased for fixing the rubber to the flat areas?

I have wondered if pros use a different glue -I seen some pro jobs where the rubber has no wrinkles or bubbles whatsoever.

Ive got the rubber laid in place loose, Im hoping some sunshine will make it sit flatter.

Iv'e never had any problems using the water based glue
just make sure you mix it well.

The white water based adhesive is used on new wooden decks, as this type of adhesive takes a bit of time to cure this allows you to brush out any bubbles or wrinkles when you roll the membrane onto the deck.
The edge drips and upstands are stuck with contact adhesive.

I have wondered if pros use a different glue -I seen some pro jobs where the rubber has no wrinkles or bubbles whatsoever.

Ive got the rubber laid in place loose, Im hoping some sunshine will make it sit flatter.
I've done two flat roofs (20 m2 and 25 m2), water based adhesive to the deck, not a ripple or bubble in either of them. There are videos on Youtube and here: http://www.rubba-seal.co.uk/

Laying out the EPDM to lose its creases is good practice. All the better if the sun is on it. Ideally you want dry sunny days to ensure that the OSB deck is nice and dry. I think damp is the biggest cause of poor adhesion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back