Epoxy resin floor in Victorian kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have a Victorian terrace and in the kitchen (at the back of the house) the current floor is partly original pine floorboards and partly (original I think) concrete. Its Pretty uneven but sound throughout. I want to put in a new floor and am hoping to put in an epoxy resin one.
My plan is to put a fibre water based self-levelling compound over the whole subfloor and then add the epoxy resin screed on top.
I don't think there's a problem with damp in the floor but the walls appear to have had some damp in them at some point.
Do I need at dpm?
Ceiling height is a bit of an issue so want to keep the flooring height as small as possible. Which is partly why the resin is appealing.
Any advice is gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would not put the epoxy resin over the floorboards (if this is what you are planning?) as you would not allow them to breathe, and could get some issues with damp.

I would also ensure that the SLC you are planning to put under the epoxy is rated to be used in this fasion. Alot of SLCs are not meant to be used under epoxy resins.

You ask about a DPM, but Epoxy resin is the DPM.

I have a similar arrangement, but without the floor boards, and with quarry tiles. I used a cement based tanking slurry, then leveled with SLC. So far, no damp issues, although its only been down since Feb, and its not exactly been wet!

Hi Mikeey84,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, didn't make it clear - I'm replacing the floorboards with marine ply and have been assured that the resin can go on the ply - it has an element of felxibility to it.

out of interest which SLC did you use? Was it specifically designed to go under the resin?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I used one my Father in law got me- he uses it on new builds due to problems with the screed. It was a latex based one.

Not suitable for use under an epoxy.

I would check out the FBall and Ardex websites, as they have alot of information about which product is suitable for what application.

Personally I would put the epoxy down first, just on the concrete, then the SLC over that and the ply as well. Damp proofing a wooden floor is a waste of damp proofer, and means that you dont have to worry about which SLC goes under the epoxy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back