Epoxy Resin Paint - self leveling compound - rubber tiles?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done numerous searches now and I'm going round in circles without and answer.

I want to refurb my concrete garage floor. It is super smooth in places, pitted in others and covered in masonry paint splashes!

What options and work is required to get it sorted and silky smooooooth?

1. Can I buy an Epoxy Resin Paint and expect it to smooth out all the bumps and grinds or will it just look like a painted floor?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....Track=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:uk

2. Should I use the self leveling compound to get it smooth THEN use the epoxy resin paint or will normal floor paint be OK?

3. I found some rubber tiles 10mm thick. Am I wasting money on these when one of the above will cost around the same to give a much better finish.

I'm going to have to order the gear next week and maybe make a start this weekend to fettle the floor once and for all.

Does anyone have any answers?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
No answers then?!?!? So when I tell you I bought the Latex powder you'll end up telling me I bought the wrong stuff........

yep i will end up telling you that you brought the wrong stuff! ( sorry never seen you post before) You need a acrylic or contract water based compound. Latex is to weak to drive over or try and bond epoxy to. I think i would of gone for rubber tiles. These need far less prep work ( if floating tiles and not bonded) Plus they would work out cheaper too. But you can still use the latex and then float the rubber tiles over the top.

25kg bag of latex was only £14.

I'll only be using the garage for storage and a Motorbike so it's not like it's having the weight of a car constantly in and out of the garage.

I'll let you know how I get on.........probably a nightmare but.....

Sponsored Links
A floor paint won't level out your floor. I had it before when me and my dad laid the cement floor for our extension. We ended up hiring a scabbling to get it looking better but it didn't work so we got a professional in to lay a self levelling resin. The thing with this is you've not got to worry abobut laying a levelling screed, worrying about if this bonds, then applying a coating and worrying if that bonds. A resin self levelling screed will smooth it off and give you the finish. The people who did ours used a product you can buy off the net called vuba-resin flow from www.vubasupplies.co.uk but I don't recommend you install it yourself. Google a flooring contractor and ask them about it. I think it was called an epoxy resin.

Cheers,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back