Epoxy Seal Coat Alternative

L33

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a concrete garage floor on which I need to apply a waterproof membrane and was looking at an Epoxy Seal Coat product which was extremely expensive at around £90 for 5 litres.

Can anyone recommend an alternative option?

Thanks.
Lee.

Sponsored Links
For what purpose is this ere DPC?, if you are going to cover it with a screed, then visquene might do or Wickes syntheproof. What coverage does your paint do, how big is your garage? There is Aquaseal 88 ?(I think) polyurathane stuff - might be cheaper.
Frank

Thanks Frank.

To be honest I'm a complete novice when it comes to diy.

I just want to stop any moisture / dampness coming up through the floor and then paint it with a colour of choice.

It currently has red paint which is flaking so I appreciate I will need to strip that away and clean it first to allow any substance I'm putting down to have a chance of bonding with the concrete.

Thanks.
Lee.

I did a Google search on "Aquaseal" and it seems that they are now part of " Permaguard" and do not list the items Aquaseal XX stuff that used to be sold 30 years ago.
They do a epoxy primer which is applied at a rate of .5 KG per square metre.
Another possible solution would be SBR base paint. You need to mix it with cement to form a creamy paint but it goes a long way. Its an unpleasant colour, sort of bluey dark grey, but when set its like a piece of leather, very stiff but slightly flexible and totally waterproof.
I have more or less then same problem but no damp. In my case I think its tied up with the builder not using enough cement in the mix, leaving a surface that is very sandy and weak, so any abrasion knocks off the sand with its coating of paint on.
One final thought, its not condensation is it?, large cold slab of waterproof concrete, any liquid condensing on it will not soak away, just pool.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Would SBR be sufficiently hard-wearing? I've seen garage and factory floor paint with sand in it, to form a hard-wearing surface with good grip.

Waterproofing applied to concrete has to bond tightly enough to withstand hydrostatic pressure, but unless this is in a basement, probably won't be much.

I have found this aquaseal dpm which I am going to try so thanks again for the advice.

I see it only comes in black. I assume you can paint over this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back