Sealing Concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Feel bad but I have decided to try and repair my concrete kitchen floor. Would love to rip it up but the cost is too much.
I've ground it flat and cleaned up all the old levelling compound and adhesive but I need to seal it to prevent moisture coming up.
I've been looking at Ardex products Ardex Super I think may be suitable.
Epoxy Resin has been recommended but I am not sure about a coating with moisture immediately below it.
I would like to hold back the moisture as deep as possible in the damp concrete kitchen floor slab.
Anyone recommend a good procuct?
I've seen Bostik Moisture Barrier thought it might be the sort of thing but I don't think you can get it here.

Thanks
Granny

Sponsored Links
are you asking for a surface application that will prevent damp coming through the slab?

there are products out there which will prevent dusting, but because of the impervious nature of concrete and because of its hydraulic nature few products will stop it from sweating moisture out.

if the slab is uninsulated, then condensation can also occur at the floor's surface.

i'm not familiar with them, but there may be surface tanking solutions out there?

Hi Noseall
Never thought about condensation another aggravating factor!
Didn't think there would be an easy option but I was wondering - if you can get injectable DPM's for walls why can't you apply something to the surface of the concrete that works in the same manner and let gravity and the permeability of the concrete do the rest?
Still dreaming of an easy solution :rolleyes:

Granny

some bricks or their surrounding mortar beds are like sponges compared to decent concrete. it is a difficult product to saturate with anything.

i don't trust chemical damp proof companies or their lofty claims anyhow.

Sponsored Links
If you've ground it back to the original concrete you could try using Vandex Super. You apply it as a slurry and it penetrates into the pores of the concrete to make the actual concrete waterproof. It tends to be used on large civils projects, but I have seen it in Builders Merchants. The only trouble is that it won't work on very old concrete as it needs some free lime to react with to produce the waterproofing effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back