Can I use a penetrating sealant on concrete if there is black mastic on top of the slab?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I had a question about sealing my concrete slab before laying down flooring. I live in a very humid area and my building was built in the 60s, so they did not install a vapor barrier under the concrete slab subfloor. I get a lot of moisture coming up from the concrete so I wanted to seal it with a penetrating sealant. I will be sealing 3-4 rooms and all of them are fine except for one room (the kitchen) has asbestos containing black mastic on the concrete floor.

Can I still use a penetrating sealant to seal the concrete from absorbing moisture if there is some black mastic on top of the concrete? Or would it be better to just use an epoxy paint to seal over the entire floor to prevent moisture from coming up through the slab? Im not concerned with the mastic, my main goal is to prevent moisture from seeping up from the concrete.
I’m no expert so any advice here would be very helpful! Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Black mastic with stop the sealent. It's a barrier.
Is the black mastic bitumen?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back