Reclaimed timber floor - laid on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;
i was looking for some advice on laying a recliamed timber floor on to an existing concrete floor. The timber is Iroko and is 7/8" thick T+G width 2-1/2". The concrete floor is old (+50 years) with no DPM. Room size is 8m x 4m. I've laid quite a few wooden floors in the past but never on concrete. The questions i have are:-

The reclaimed boards need to be cleaned to remove the dust/sawdust and varnish from the T+G faces. I can do this with a chisel/craft knife but it's slow going. Are there any suggestions to speed this up e.g. using Nitromors etc to make remove easier?
The concrete floor needs leveled. I was considering using cement to infill the low spots and then leave to cure for several months as i believe that the screeds are often not to great at self levelling leaving a lot of remedial work to do. Will a cement screed suffice provided i leave long enough to cure fully?
I want to seal the concrete slab to prevent moisture reaching the timber floor. What products would be recommended?
Finally i am looking for a recommendation for timber to concrete adhesive i can use to glue the timber to the concrete floor.

Any advice gladly received!
Andy

Sponsored Links
Why not cross baton on to the floor and consider nailing the floor surface to the batons which will (obviously) be suitably fixed to the sub surface ?

If you baton you can wedge out the floor undulations to give a completely level surface, packing wedges that plaster board fixers use will do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back