Reclaimed solid maple wood floor on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've read the postings in this forum and found variations on a theme but not quite this challenge, I have some reclaimed wooden flooring that has been stored in the room it is to be laid for two months. The house is new (8 months old) so will have DPM under the concrete, but the house is still all drying out (lovely cracks appearing in plaster and timber).
How do I best lay my floor, should I lay a membrane and 'float' the floor, gluing the T&G? I don't want to batten as this would raise the floor too high.
Help!

Sponsored Links
Us a combi underlayment (DPM + sound-insulation), install the floar floating and glue the T&G's.

Erm, do I need any particular kind of wood glue for the T&G's, does it have to offer an amount of flex or can it be glue like Evo-StiK Wood Adhesive (hoping the latter as I've just bought a load of it :confused: )

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did a little search on that product (didn't know the brand name) but looks like it does the trick (does sound a bit expensive though, but sonce you already have it ;))

Laying a reclaimed solid maple floor floating! How wide is it? How thick? Whats its moisture content? Is your concrete dry yet, do you know for sure?

Stop don't!!!! Maple is very sensitive species to changes to moisture, temp and humidity and where has it come from if it was reclaimed (how was it stored?)

If you've already installed it, is it still in good condition?

Stop? It's done. Looks fantastic. All old and knarly, chunks missing here and there, worn and stained areas, the odd bowed board.
It's 2cm think and 6cm wide, thin planks. It came from an old school hall, was stored in a yard (I can see you groaning already!) It's about 30 years old.
Chill, it'll be cool. If it works it'll be great, if it buckles and warps in the summer I'll use it for firewood :LOL:

If your happy with it, thats all that matters. I do hope it works out after all your effort. For anyone else reading this and considering reclaimed wood (especially stored in a yard!) please get some professional advice first.

WFRN you were completely right! After a summer the floor shrank, it shrank so much gaps appeared where the glue gave way and you could put your fingers in-between.
Have since re-layed, sanded and varnished. Hasn't moved a bit since.
Would recommend to readers never to lay a reclaimed maple floor thats been stored outside!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back