Vinyl Plank help over asbestos and moisture

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone! I need some help on how to handle asbestos (non friable black mastic) and a lot of moisture on my concrete slab.

I have attached a photo but recently my hardwoods were torn up leaving me with an exposed concrete slab that had asbestos on it. I do not want to pay to abate the asbestos, but I want to put Luxory vinyl plank throughout the condo. The LVP I have chosen is high quality with a solid plastic core (SPC) and has an attached cork underlayment.

My question is, what’s the best way to cover the asbestos? Can I lay the LVP directly on top? Or do I need to install a plywood subfloor to cover it up and then install the LVP on top? In case it matters you can see there is now a substantial gap between the slab and my baseboards. I thought a plywood subfloor would help close that gap

Additionally, and this is very important, I live in a very humid place and there is always moisture seeping up from the slab. I would like to put a moisture barrier down to prevent water from seeping up into the condo.

So given I have asbestos and a moisture problem, what’s the best way to install LVP in my condo?
866CAF88-DC7A-4244-9BB1-1C7632E9CE91.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You need to grind off everything loose then
ardex NA
ardex DPM1c
then lay SPC

or if using a glue down LVT then another coat of NA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back