Erection of steel goal post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a steel goalpost to put up and I was wondering the best way of doing it. The complication is the uneven ground around and that the vertical columns are 4m tall, 203x102UB23 steel. The verticals are 100kg each and the horizontal is 140kg.

I was thinking either:

1. Lift the verticals into position, chemfix into the concrete at the base, then genie lift the horizontal steel into position then bolt to verticals.

or,

2. Bolt it all together then raise the whole construction up and chemfix the bases after.

Steelwork is new to me. What's best with minimal manpower?

Thanks.

Here's the location:

IMG_0475.jpeg

Here's what I'm trying to do:

Image 08-09-2022 at 12.28.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I'd assemble it into the position below and get a few helpers round to tip it up and walk it into position:

Screenshot_20220908-140429-002.png

I'd assemble it into the position below and get a few helpers round to tip it up and walk it into position:

Wouldn't Health & Safety have something to say about that? If its 4m high, that's a lot of weight above head height?

Sponsored Links
As cdbe says, erect it in the position he has suggested but I would put the verticals into the foundation channel, so it is already partly erect.
Get 3 mates on the patio to start lifting and 2 others down below to push the verticals backwards and upright.
Jam some wooden braces against the uprights to hold it in place while you cement into place.

Dodgy DIYers exempt! But presumably not the designer of the steel?

Doesn't apply if it's DIY though (if it's DIY)...
It applies to the steelwork design regardless.

And by the looks of things, although the OP may be DIYing, he's still a client instigating construction operations so CDM applies for any trades - bizarrely the first trade on site automatically becomes the principle contractor and assumes those responsibilities.

My death will be hilarious I'm sure.

My latest thinking is to use "CBDE"'s idea but with a scaffold tower and electric hoist.

I'll post some photos. Feel free to take the Michael.

ps. I have no mates, and my kids are sick of sweeping the chimneys.

As your steels have the load bearing bolts in shear, fitting the horizontal to two already fixed verticals would be tricky. If your verticals weren't perfectly rotated and tops of equal height, you're on a loosing battle with a spanner.

Far easier to assemble then lift. Of course, with a bit of inginuity, you can use a Genie to lift or at least brace.

Ensuring you end up level is something else you may need to explore.

Don't forget to have a couple of brooms on hand to help push it up with :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back