Erection of steel goal post

Heavy duty brooms I assume? ;)

The Structural Engineer has specified each baseplate for the columns to be fixed by 4 M12 bolts in resin. Any suggestions as to how long the threaded rods should go into the concrete? (Please don’t say long enough!).

I’m thinking of getting two 1m lengths of zinc plated m12 rods and cutting them to give 8x 250mm.

?

Sponsored Links
Heavy duty brooms I assume? ;)

The Structural Engineer has specified each baseplate for the columns to be fixed by 4 M12 bolts in resin. Any suggestions as to how long the threaded rods should go into the concrete? (Please don’t say long enough!).

I’m thinking of getting two 1m lengths of zinc plated m12 rods and cutting them to give 8x 250mm.

?
We always say, “to be installed strictly in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations”.

But as the fixings are only holding the frame in position and not holding it down, 100mm embedment will be fine.

As cdbe says, erect it in the position he has suggested but I would put the verticals into the foundation channel, so it is already partly erect.
Get 3 mates on the patio to start lifting and 2 others down below to push the verticals backwards and upright.
Jam some wooden braces against the uprights to hold it in place while you cement into place.
Just to add to this:
Position a good video camera to film this.
It might be a success or £250 at "you've been framed"

The design looks crap, but as long as you have an abundance of child labour then crack on is my advice , because they won't last very long walking down the road looking at their phones!

Sponsored Links
I would use stainless studding (as an amateur) unless there is a good reason not to?

if you insisted on the rope method I would suggest tow ropes with a known load capacity but also something like poles In the way Amish people raise a barn?

I've just watched a series of videos on how the Amish raise a barn. Incredible. I'm thinking of converting. Although the lack of beer, internet and fast cars might be a slight issue.

I've just watched a series of videos on how the Amish raise a barn. Incredible. I'm thinking of converting. Although the lack of beer, internet and fast cars might be a slight issue.

Yes, but - what about all that horse poo for the roses?

This is the sort of stupid **** I’d do. Brilliant. Crack on, have an escape plan if it starts to run away from you and make sure you wear safety flip flops. Keep dogs and kids inside.

Me and one mate lifted a 150kg 5m long steel up outside of my hobo scaffolding using a chain hoist that only lifted 1.5m a time. Then had to wrestle it through a window. Once in place, the level of my own stupidity even surprised me.

Last edited:
Well, the first attempt failed!

It started out ok as I gashed together a crane from a scaffolding tower, acrow prop and rope attached to the house.

However, the good ideas club kicked in and I decided to pull it up majestically into place from the opposite direction suggested above. A silly idea it turns out as the electric hoist is only designed for vertical loads and the limit switches kicked in after a few feet.

Rethink required.

Attachments

• 1E3DF6E5-51EC-418B-BE92-E804AA706B16.jpeg
    1E3DF6E5-51EC-418B-BE92-E804AA706B16.jpeg
    741.9 KB · Views: 82
  • BF2DF404-8AA0-4EE3-85D9-BDE5D3F4B8A4.jpeg
    BF2DF404-8AA0-4EE3-85D9-BDE5D3F4B8A4.jpeg
    775 KB · Views: 87
Rethink required.
It certainly is. Are you aware that scaffolding towers are not designed to rake sideways loading (it might even be in the little sheet the hire company provided)? The job requires something like a sheerlegs or portable gantry - and is more than a one man job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back