Error message when copying video files

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been trying to copy some videos from a phone to a laptop. However, I keep getting the message "Data supplied is wrong type" and nothing copies. The properties of the files look ok, they are all MP4 files, mostly received over Whatsapp. I tried removing the SD card and plugging it into the laptop directly and initially some files did copy but not all of them. I then got a message saying there was an error copying files. I then tried again but this time got the original "Data supplied is wrong type" message and nothing copied. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can you play them on the phone to confirm that they work?

Sponsored Links
I am going to first say what i always say when i have my IT support hat on - have you tried turning it on and off again :)

Can you also try moving the files in small batches, rather than in one big go?

If those two fail i would try updating usb/device drivers.

Just to close this out. I managed to get all the files copied across. I had to copy them in small batches and still occasionally got error messages ("file format not recognised" or "an error occurred while copying files"). However, disconnecting and reconnecting the phone seemed to do the trick. I think the lesson is I need to back up my pictures more frequently rather than waiting until there are thousands to be backed up. Thanks for the help.

Back