Estimate for total refurbishment of my three bedroom house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a house in linconshire that is 3 bedroom detatched with small detached office and garage. It did have tenants in until three months ago but it is now unrentable due to the general condition of it. I would like to do a complete refurbishment on it( to include office ,garage). Roof to ground. The property is sound structurally . I am able to site manage and source and supply certain materials myself ie kitchen ,bathroom,electrics . My question is to you in the know , is have I completed a realistic estimate ( to include the materials supplied by me).
Total Cost of £63,100

ROOF £7000
REPLACE EXISTING WOODEN FACIAS, GUTTERS AND DOWNPIPES TO HOUSE ,GARAGE AND OFFICE £1500
FIT NEW DOUBLE GLASSED UPVC WINDOWS THROUGHOUT HOUSE AND OFFICE( NOTE INCL 4X 5 PANE BAY WINDOWS) £10,000
HOUSE AND OFFICE ELECTRICS-NEW FUSE BOARD,REWIRE,NEW SOCKETS AND LIGHT FITTINGS £4500
CENTRAL HEATING- NEW BOILER,TANK,PIPEWORK AND RADS £4500
REMOVE OLD CEILINGS AND FIT NEW PLASTERBOARD CEILINGS TAPE AND SKIM JOINTS . FILL AND SKIM WALLS WHERE NECESSARY £2000
FIT NEW BATHROOM SUIT TO INCLUDE ALL TILING ETC £3000
FIT NEW KITCHEN UNTS,WORK SURFACE,TILING AND APPLIANCES
£5000
FIT NEW OGEE SKIRTINGS TO BOTH MAIN ROOMS £800
FIT NEW FRONT DOORS TO HOSE AND OFFICE AND REAR DOOR TO HOUSE ALL WITH YALE PULLER , DEAD LOCK AND ONE LETTER BOX TO HOUSE DOOR £600
TAKE EXISTING LOUNGE WINDOW OUT AND EXTEND OPENING DOWN TO INCLUDE NEW OPENING FRENCH DOORS TO INCLUDE NEW THRESHOLD ETC £2500
FIT NEW VELUX SKYLIGHT TO KITCHEN ROOF AT TIME OF RE-TILING INCLUDING FLASHINGS ETC £400
NEW KITCHEN EXTENSION.-EXTEND KITCHEN TO MEET GARAGE WALL .( 1 M OUT X 5 M LONG ) TO INCUDE ALL NEW TOILET DRAINAGE, NEW SLAB,WALL ETC( ROOF IN ROOF QUOTE)NOTE THIS WILL INCREASE THE VALUE OF HOUSE £5000
KNOCK THROUGH 2M OPENING ( ALREADY 0.8M DOORWAY) FROM KITCHEN TO LOUNGE TO INCLUDE RSJ ( PROBABLY 7'' X 4'' ) AND PLASTER WORK £800
PAINT ALL ROOMS WITH ONE BASE COAT AND TWO TOP COATS EMULSION , ALL EXTERIOR DOORS PRIME AND TWO COATS TRADE , STAIR BANISTERS PREPARE AND COAT WITH GLOSS . PAINT AL EXTERIOR FACIA BOARDS AND WINDOW SILLS . ALL PAINT TO BE DULEX TRADE GLOSS £2000
SUNDERIES LIGHTING ETC £500
DECKING , FRONT GARDEN AND FENCING £3000
INJECT NEW DAMPROOF COURSE TO ALL OF PROPERTY( POSS RENTAKILL) £1000
CONTINGENCY £5000
TOTAL £63,100

Sponsored Links
I may be out on some costings . That's the whole idea of asking others. The main objective here is to see if I am in the right ball park. Not sure where the buy another house is coming from . The proprty is already owned by me if left in the present state ( derelict) it would just go to rack and ruin with only the value of the land left. Probably worth £80.00 on a good day. If refurbished , looking at other similar properties in the area , it would be worth in excess of £240,000 . So as far as I can see I would be a fool to not go ahead and spend some money on it.

I may be out on some costings . That's the whole idea of asking others. The main objective here is to see if I am in the right ball park. Not sure where the buy another house is coming from . The proprty is already owned by me if left in the present state ( derelict) it would just go to rack and ruin with only the value of the land left. Probably worth £80.00 on a good day. If refurbished , looking at other similar properties in the area , it would be worth in excess of £240,000 . So as far as I can see I would be a fool to not go ahead and spend some money on it.

I'll let one of the builders comment on the building costs but imho the cost you've allowed for kitchen/bathrooms seems about right. You could even get it done for cheaper if you picked up some good deals.

Are you intending to the rent the property out again or sell it?

Sponsored Links
Most decent builders are too busy to mull over the costing of an ENTIRE house re-furb'.

Quality finishes can push costs up considerably, so going budget on bathrooms, kitchens, wall finishes, floor finishes, lighting, shelving and storage etc, could save a packet.

You must also factor in upgrading the entire building thermally as you will be encroaching into building regulations with this project. It may be wise to factor in the cost of a teccie so that the thermal design aspect of the building as well as all the regular building work, is taken care of.

Project managing is regarded as a job for one experienced in and familiar with all things construction.

Thanks for the advice .Yes it may be best to go budget on items as it's a possible rental . Good point on the thermal aspect. I will certainly have to look into that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back