'Etched' glass on a gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a natural flame gas fire with ceramic type 'coals' and a large curved glass 'vision' panel to see the flames. Problem is the glass has got more and more opaque over the years and it looks like its been etched on the inside. It feels like theres some form of deposit on the inside surface and for the life of me I can't get it off :( and we can only just see the flames.

Anyone know how to remove this?
WTF is it?
How can I avoid it happening again?

TIA

Pete

Sponsored Links
We have a natural flame gas fire How can I avoid it happening again?

It`s carbon monoxide, have you had it serviced , ever? probably not, Guess what i am going to strongly advise next. ;)

The glass on this type of fire almost always goes that apaque/grey way.It`s due to dust being burnt into it.Nothing you can do about it except put up with it or get a new glass panel.

They can be very expensive.

If you still have the instructions for the fire it may tell you how to remove the glass panel in order to change/clean the coal effect.

If you do remove it do not use ANY kind of liquid to clean it,use a scrunched up newspaper and just rub,you`ll soon know if it`ll make any difference.

If you do remove the glass front,make sure you put it back in correctly.

Also get it serviced as soon as possible,it should take the best part of an hour to do correctly.

The glass on this type of fire almost always goes that apaque/grey way.It`s due to dust being burnt into it.

:LOL: Nothing to do with dust. :LOL: carbon monoxide plays a part also the false coals. ;)

It`s ``opaque`` by the way, ;)

Sponsored Links
Oh and the site mods are apologising for your behavior now. No need chaps, I lurked here before registering and I'm well aware of 'bambers' style.

I was looking for help with our gas fire not on my spelling.

You could try a product used for cleaning ceramic hobs (like Hob-Brite) but this needs to be done regularly. If it has not been cleaned for a few years then a new glass is needed. It is actually caused by the condensation when the fire first fires up. This is acidic and will eat into the surface of the glass over a period of time.

Ignore any comment about carbon monoxide causing this. Regretfully the poster who alluded to this only knows how to use a computer keyboard (and then only because the keys have the letters printed on them.)

One of the best things to use is Brasso also if it really bad use a really wet brillo pad , both are very affective.

Namsag has got it right, time consuming to get a good result, light pressure plenty of fine wire wool plus the brasso, the deposits can be totally removed until the glass is virtually as good as new.
End result - when its back in position its like the glass isn't there !
Takes care and time, have done this many times to my own fire and when employed by a fire manufacturer as a engineer. (wasn't too long when it was a service call but at least the customers were happy with the end result.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back