Ethernet cables through backbox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to bring a bunch of cat 5 cables up behind a skirting board and into a metal backbox through a couple of suitably grommeted knock outs? I plan to put a fascia on it with the brushes on so it looks neat. Worried about any field effects etc..from having a metal back box. .

Sponsored Links
I've already run the cables ( some in use, some not ) and my Internet has been a bit unstable. I was worried that routing through a metal back box set up some kind of inductance or electromagnetic field that would cause interference between the cablee. Not a spark so was worried I'd done something stupid!

Nothing stupid at all, standard stuff.

Unless the cable is somehow damaged, even with some electrically induced interference (say running alongside mains cable) it won't stop your network cables working, the speed will naturally reduce. A metal back box cannot by itself cause interference in a network cable.

You need to separate the quality of your internet connection (WAN) from the capability of your internal network (LAN) - the two are not the same.

To test out, connect your laptop via network cable directly to your router/modem/whatever provides your internet and see if your have a stable connection (rule out your LAN)

Sponsored Links
So fired up my old dusty xp machine and tested Internet speed. The results varied by site e.g. 78 ish on one site , 60 ish on another. I think the I pay for 80 down and 20 up.
I then checked wireless download speeds and I get good results on 5g but the 2.4g is regularly below 10 and often below 5. As it's the 2.4 that covers most of the house this is a bit kak. Any ideas for how I diagnose?

So fired up my old dusty xp machine and tested Internet speed. The results varied by site e.g. 78 ish on one site , 60 ish on another. I think the I pay for 80 down and 20 up.
I then checked wireless download speeds and I get good results on 5g but the 2.4g is regularly below 10 and often below 5. As it's the 2.4 that covers most of the house this is a bit kak. Any ideas for how I diagnose?

I would guess that is 80 down MAX, so 78 is fine. Can you do any tests locally rather than going out to the internet to test the cat5 cables? Wi-Fi could be due to location in the house - walls and other equipment etc. Could be over utilised on the channel you are using. Can you see what else is close and what free channels there are?

Yes thanks it's 80 Max. I have wifi analyser app so can try the least busy channel , I have a Sonos Bridge in the same room but will relocate that to the next room shortly. What confuses me is that sometimes the speed is good and sometimes not. I also have an old router configured as an access point and it's on a different channel which is presumably ok?

I'll try and identify least busy channels and post back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back