Routing ethernet cable safely through wall to doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a Ring video doorbell for a few years now and I'm finally looking to get away from their subscription based cloud model. I'm looking at going for a more reliable POE option whilst I'm at it too - specifically the Reolink POE doorbell.

I'm very familiar with the tech side of things but my main issue is getting the ethernet cable to the doorbell from a buildings point of view.

The POE switch is in the shoe cupboard right next to the front door so the cable doesn't need to go far BUT there is likely a bit of mains wiring on the opposite side of the doorbell wall where I'd need to drill through as shown in the picture. My current plan is to knock the electric off and with a reasonable sized holesaw in reverse, carefully drill out a section opposite where the doorbell is going. This will give me a good view of the cables in the area (if any) and hopefully going in reverse with depth of plasterboard measured any cables will be fine.

I'll then drill from the outside in (angled upwards), someone on the other side of the door will be able to let me know when they see the drill bit poke through the new cutout. Once that's done I'll just need to snake the ethernet down the dot and dab plasterboard wall and under the skirting board (it's being removed for new flooring) into the shoe cupboard. There is an existing wired mains doorbell covered on the PVC door but I don't think that'll be of any help as the ethernet wiring is significantly larger, I did consider using that for mains and WiFi but I think long term POE will be worth the hassle upfront.

I'm probably overthinking it but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions first, I'm happy to re-paint so this seems like the most accurate/safest option. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230614_075617.jpg
    20230614_075617.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 231
  • 20230614_075646 (2).jpg
    20230614_075646 (2).jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
you can remove the front plates and look to see which way the cables come in to there back boxes.

its possible the light switch comes down from ceiling and the power up from the floor to the socket, however I have seen them go all directions, so to be safe you need to establish where they run.

the live wire in the wall testers I dont rate that much.

Yeah I've been meaning to check that too, I'd also assume the cables are going from the top down into the lightswitch but I wasn't sure how the ground ones were ran. Surely the wire has to come down a wall at some point to reach from somewhere them right.... But as you say, this house has been full of surprises since we bought it so I wouldn't trust standards too much either!

I have a stud/electrical tester but it's useless in that area - and a bit rubbish in general when it comes to mains wires, certainly wouldn't trust it enough to just assume it's right. I would do the "poke a hole in the wall and fish around with a hook" but in reality I'm not sure that is going to help much as I need to drill through in a certain spot regardless even if there are cables there..... I need enough access to move them a little out the way which I can't do through a small pinhole anyway.

You cant assume anything. although they are supposed to run vertically or horizontally in straight lines.

they could have been bodged and could run in any direction.

if you know where the cable/s are you have options, if they are potentially in the way (established by looking inside the back box) carefully remove a section of plasterboard where you want to be so you can see the cable run, it can be patched later, you can then switch off the power to them devices and and take measures to temporarily move them to one side out of the way.

Sponsored Links
Is the light switch back box metal or a dry lining box?

If a dry lining box, why not temporarily pull if forward and aim the drill in (from outside)? Your ethernet cable can enter the property behind the back box. You may need to dig a channel if the back box is partially buried in the brick, alternatively, aim just to the side of the box.

Either way, there will be no need to use a hole saw.

Whilst not advocating it... you'd be really unlucky to have a SDS bit damage a T&E in a dot and dab wall (assuming that the cable isn't held captive in a dot that you drill in to). In my experience, the SDS bit just pushes the cable out of the way.

I'll have a proper check after work today but I have a feeling they're metal boxes. I will have a proper actual measure too but I have a feeling the doorbell position isn't quite directly opposite the switch.

I did think that about the SDS bits moving cables out of the way, although like you say.... it's not impossible!

You cannot be guessing on how the cables are run or fitted and that it is safe to drill.

Better to inspect and asses first and establish some knowns and take some actions before drilling.

I have come across live cables in walls and under floors that are not insulated in any way and live,
I have seen cables wired into more than one fuse of a consumer unit, so had to switch both off to isolate.
Customer last week thought a cable was dead and cut through it but no major harm as it was an alarm cable, it blew the panel fuse mind.

See wires pop out of back boxes because the cables weren't secured properly.

Please be safe

I generally always knock off the mains breaker before doing anything that could be near electrics so I'll be safe either way. I'm just trying to do the work in a way that doesn't mean I have to call the electrician to patch up some torn cables! I can patch up drywall, I can't patch up mains cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back