Ring floodlight cam and doorbell - what a waste of cash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've been suffering with a Ring floodlight cam for about three years ago. Initially it worked really well, so I bought doorbell and a chime as well.

For the last six months or so, connectivity has been absolutely terrible. The floodlight cam drops out all the time, and I only realise when someone delivers a letter and I realise that my phone didn't buzz. It spends more time offline than on. I have a wireless AP about three feet away, on the inside of the external wall where the floodlight cam is. Wireless health is brilliant.... but it still just drops off constantly.

The doorbell started out alright, but now it too has stopped doing what it's supposed to. I can access live view, but the chime, which used to ring, doesn't anymore. Nor does my phone get any notifications. So if someone rings the doorbell, unless I'm close enough to hear the doorbell itself ring, I don't realise anybody's there.

I've contacted Ring and been through their trouble-shooting process - basically "switch everything off and on again." That works, for a day or two. I don't really think that cycling power on my router, and clambering up a ladder to press the button on the top of the floodlight cam to reset it, is something I should have to do several times a week.

Their stuff would be great if only they hadn't skimped on their wifi tech.

Now that I've got all that off my chest, the point is: I've had enough of Ring. Can anybody recommend any alternatives? Preferably something with hard-wired ethernet. I still want to be able to receive notifications on my phone, and watch live video and save recordings.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back