Ring Doorbell and Cam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Does anybody have experience of the Ring Doorbell 2 and the Ring Stickup Cam and know what the differences are between the two. Both have motion detection, night vision and two way talk but which is better and by how much. Also, the angle of view is 10 deg better in the doorbell but I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference.

I wanted to put a camera at the front and wondered if it was worth paying double for the doorbell or am I better off just getting the camera. I've already got a doorbell which I'm not taking down.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
The only main difference I can think of is that if you want to be notified and be able to talk only to people who call at your door when you are out (basically delivery drivers) then you’ll need the doorbell. You can still do that with the camera I suppose but you’d need to be notified of every movement near your door so the area covered will need to be a lot smaller than the doorbell. With the doorbell you can cover a larger area and only set it up for ring (but not movement) notifications but you’ll have to do away with your original doorbell to be sure to get the notifications.

Last edited:
That's what's confused me?? The Ring Cam says that it also sends notifications to your phone and you've got two-way talk. The only extra bit on the doorbell seems to be that its a doorbell, so you can have a chime or something similar inside that makes a noise when someone comes knocking. I've already got a door that I'm happy with so not that dependent on the doorbell function. Does the Ring Cam have a wider field of view, or is the camera the same in both?

Sponsored Links
If you're not interested in the doorbell / chat function you can get much cheaper cameras, such as the Neos for about £25, free for short clips, about £3/mo to film and store 1 minute clips.

I wanted to put a camera at the front and wondered if it was worth paying double for the doorbell or am I better off just getting the camera.
What exactly do you want it to do? Answer that and you may get some specific advice.

I need something at the front of the house with a built-in motion sensor that'll give an alert inside when someone is walking outside. Not so worried about it during the day, but I want an alert inside if someone is walking outside during the night; the area is well lit so lighting isn't an issue. It's got run on battery.

Ring seems pretty popular that was the only reason I mentioned it. Price wise, the Ring door bell and Stickup cam aren't much different now, although the doorbell works down to a lower temperature and has a wider field of view. On the internet (eBay, Amazon, etc.) there's plenty of other brands but I'm not sure how good they are.

What's are the best options out there?

Last edited:
All I can say is that with the Ring doorbell, you can set it up to receive motion alerts. The zones covered as well as the sensitivity are adjustable. You can then programme to disable the alerts at specific times and days - in your case that will be during the day through the control panel. I would imagine other makes can do this too but I have no experience of them.

A9BF39A1-31E1-4436-B606-8634AA9FA63E.png

I’ve got a Ring doorbell 2. It’s hardwired but is available as a battery powered unit. You can buy an extra set of batteries. I had the Ring doorbell 1 years back when it first came out, never buy this unit. So Eufy make a similar doorbell to Ring. It reads well and is cheaper, also make other products like Ring. I’ve just fitted their Floodlight cam at the back of our house. This is as good as Rings and as with all Eufy products, there’s no extra cost to view/ keep old recordings. I would check Eufy out if I was to upgrade or needed a doorbell. Needless to say, a good internet signal is needed.

The Eufy 2K doorbell looks but not sure if it's available here, it's on Amazon but no UK price. There's a lot of comments about it only being available in the US. You can buy it on eBay but mostly from US sellers. The other downside is that it seems to have a wired option only.

Found something called the August Doorbell Cam Pro which looks good but at £300 is a bit pricey. Some aren't fully waterproof and have to be installed under a canopy, whilst others have to be paired with a 2.4GHz router, so a 2.4GHz/5GHz router which is very common is incompatible.

Any 2.4GHz only device will work with a dual band router, if there is sufficient field strength.
In some cases it may be necessary to give the router different names (SSID) for the two bands, but that can cause problems for other devices.

Some posts by spammers have been removed.
Wifi interference can occur at any time, see it a lot. Where customers have installed their own devices and neighbours start to broadcast across all channels or boost there wifi and drowns out the customers wifi.

as for image going all pink could be device issues, reboots will only address that short term before complete failure I suspect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back