Correctly exiting cable from external conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently in the process of fitting a couple of external PoE cameras to our townhouse property and have a query around fiting the conduit, more so around how the ethernet cable should exit it whilst keeping the conduit waterproof. The camera in question is the "Reolink Duo 2 Floodlight" which allows me to cover the whole outside area with the one camera rather than two, with the added bonus of floodlights, all delivered over PoE - saves me buying a bigger network switch for now.

I've attached an image of where the cable will leave the house (the PoE switch is in a cupboard on the opposite side so an easy exit) and where I was planning on routing it to reach the camera and carry on around to the other side of the house. I'd like the conduit to stay as close to the top side of the raised brick lip around the house as possible as it'll blend in better. The camera mounts directly to the wall rather than a backbox (the camera mount is already rather large) and can accept the cable entry from left/right/bottom.

I'm not sure how the cable should leave the conduit and enter the camera base whilst keeping the rest of the conduit waterproof and with as little exposed cable as possible. Do I fit a T branch from the conduit under the camera facing downwards and just exit the ethernet cable bare using a compression gland? That would avoid water entering the conduit and provide a drip loop on the cable but would also leave an exposed cable to both tampering/outside elements.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 9.10.43 am copy.png

And some images of the camera mount that aren't mine:
Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 9.21.48 am.png
Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 9.21.34 am.png

Sponsored Links
Looks like that camera has a 20 mm side access for conduit
Unless I'm missing something the side/bottom access notches you see in the base is just big enough for a ethernet cable, they're not remotely close to 20mm in diameter?

Conduit boxes with cable glands?

Or just use external grade ethernet cable(s) and clip direct to wall?
You'll need to protect the cable between a gland and the camera input from UV exposure anyway. Don't forget a service and drip loop of cable.

Sponsored Links
You could use a 20mm cable gland like this

Or have the conduit go in a small JB / enclosure then come out other side with a 20mm threaded gland

pic 2 seems to show a conduit entry on the left but cant see it on pic 3? you could just drill a 20mm hole in the appropiate side and fit a conduit coupler
and a bit of silicon wouldnt go amiss round the top cable entry hole that seems designed to let in water

Last edited:
pic 2 seems to show a conduit entry on the left but cant see it on pic 3? you could just drill a 20mm hole in the appropiate side and fit a conduit coupler
and a bit of silicon wouldnt go amiss round the top cable entry hole that seems designed to let in water
The top entry hole is for the actual camera entry. I think the connection block has been designed so that even if water enters through the top, it's not going to come into contact with any of the connections inside due to the direction. Either way I'll likely pop some silicone around the top and sides. It comes with some rubber washers to fill unused entry points so that might be why you can't see it, I've just been to measure and the entry is 10mm so not quite conduit sized sadly.

I'll see if there's space to expand the side notch to 20mm as conduit straight into the camera would likely look the nicest. Otherwise I'll just have to make sure I buy some externally rated cable and do something like this with a U box and short run of exposed cable. I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not too much of a problem as if someone has managed to get up that high they're also in a position to just snip the exposed cable coming out from the back of the camera so I'm probably overthinking it.

Alternatively it would be two traditional dome cameras (one each end of the wall facing opposite directions) mounted straight onto JBs but I'd rather not if possible.

20240220_100728.jpg

Last edited:
You can never stop water getting in, just ensure there is a way for it to drain out - drill a drain hole in the bottom.

You can never stop water getting in, just ensure there is a way for it to drain out - drill a drain hole in the bottom.
Do you mean in the camera junction box or the conduit? Surely conduit would be water tight?

Do you mean in the camera junction box or the conduit? Surely conduit would be water tight?

Neither junction box, nor conduit, will keep the water out - always add drainage holes at the lowest points, where the water collects.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back