Ethernet or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to upgrade my CCTV that I previously installed from 4 to 8 cameras. I am an electrical engineer by birth but would appreciate the specific knowledge of others on the issue of:
  • Cables - Q: Is it better to use ethernet rather than coaxial?
  • Cables - I have one current long run of cable (25M) through 25mm conduit that feeds one camera. Q: Subject to previous. Could one multi pair ethernet be run in place of the coaxial to feed a total of 3 cameras? (Power is not a concern as that can be provided near to camera location)
  • Cables - Q: Ethernet V Coaxial, can HD systems be used on both/either/neither?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sparkymarka, but that doesn't actually answer my specific questions

One pair of CAT 5 or CAT 6 will carry a video signal without any serious degredation of the image.

But that said it does seem unnecessary to use a balun to convert the single ended video signal ( co-ax ) from the camera into a differential pair signal ( CAT 5 ) and then at the other end of the CAT 5 cable using another balun to convert back into a single ended signal when installing co-ax is as easy as installing CAT 5.

CAT 5 may be cheaper and baluns are very low cost so maybe on cost alone CAT 5 may come out best.

Sponsored Links
You could use video signal splitter with transmitter and receiver to send 4 camera pictures down one coax.
You can change coax for cat5 cable and send 4 cameras using separate baluns.
You could use 2 passive 4channel passive balun with cat5 cable.
25meter ok with coax or Ethernet
Runs of 150 meter or long then you could has issues
Use HD baluns with HD TVI cameras
HD can be used on both coax and Ethernet.

Thanks guys, especially Handymanjo, for answering my specific questions.
For my system upgrades, part of the system is a 25mm coaxial run through conduit (signal only), where it's camera is then powered locally from the garage ring main.
With now wanting to add two additional cameras at the garage (three in total all powered locally), from what you have suggested I should be able to multiplex the signal as suggested along the current cable. If not then pulling a cat5 as suggested will also feed HD on 4 cameras.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back