Hikvision setup equipment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m going to get an Hikvision dvr and 4 ip ColorVu cameras. I’ve ran Ethernet cables between a downstairs cupboard Where the dvr will live and the camera locations.
This is where I’m a bit clueless. To set up the system do I need a computer and screen or can it all be done using hik connect on a iPad.
The cupboard is no near a tv, but could run a HDMI cable with difficulty, Is this needed or recommended? Or can everything be done with an iPad ie change settings, rewind footage, permanently store footage?

Sorry if this has been asked before, someone touched on the subject earlier in week but I didn’t find the answers. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think the first time you power the Dvr you will need to setup a admin password and that can only be done using a monitor connected directly to the Dvr.
Once the password is connected and you know the local IP address of the Dvr then the settings can be changed easily via a laptop or desktop pc using the built in web browser. All web browsers will allow access to the Dvr menus but not all will display the video which can be frustrating

You can access the web browser using an iPad but it’s not very user friendly.
The Hik-Connect app will allow full playback, rewind and storage easily using an iPhone or iPad.

I'd setup the DVR at the TV location first then move it to under the stairs where you can tweak things via its network connection. Far easier than dragging the TV into the hall!

If you are getting a DVR then you would need a poe switch to power your IP cameras.

if you are getting an NVR, then depending on which model you get it may have built in POE ports.

when first powering un the NVR(network) or DVR (analogue or hybrid), you should be guided through a setup wizard, this should get you the rough the basics.

however if your using a web browser then it isn't exactly the same process (you tube videos galore on this), and you may find the sadp tool useful to find the ip address of the NVR/DVR.

Personally a small TV plugged into the hdmi/ vga port maybe useful initially, especially when scanning in for hik connect.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for replying.
I’ve got a spare tv I’ve inherited recently, so will plug that in. The nvr I’m looking at is the
DS-7608NI-K2/8P would I need to plug a keyboard into the nvr to be able to control it during the initial setup.
Sorry about the large font.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back