EU considering A217 Association Agreement approach

Hopefully after tonight Brexit will be off the front pages and be confined to the business pages.
There are a lot of other problems need sorted , crime ,NHS ect.

Sponsored Links
Hopefully after tonight Brexit will be off the front pages and be confined to the business pages.
There are a lot of other problems need sorted , crime ,NHS ect.

Gee you brexiteers are like Tory puppets.

Have you not thought why they want it off the front pages?

It has been easy to sell all the brexit fantasy lies all the time it hasnt happened.
Tories know its a fantasy and they want the truth kept out of the news.

New trade barriers are going to cause huge problems in NI GB trade -would you like that silenced

Sponsored Links
If you have a reasoned argument with evidence to back that up, I am happy to listen.

I haven't got any evidence but I'm sure you'll be happy to listen anyway.;)

Ireland, despite being a member since 1973, have only started paying into the EU in the last couple of years. Without our contribution, their membership fee is going to go up
rapidly because Germany can't bear the full burden.

They're 100% reliant on UK for electricity, possibly gas as well, not sure.

10% of their exports are agriproducts, the bulk of which is exported to the UK, the next biggest chunk goes to the EU, much of it transiting via the UK, tariffs and/or border delays could potentially see farming in Ireland collapse.
Of their total exports, over 50% go to the EU (that includes UK and I can't find a separate percentage for that, it will be significant), 10% to Asia and 30% to USA (that's very significant).

Ireland is now the third largest tax haven in the world, (Luxembourg are in second place). Corporation tax in Luxembourg is 21% (although rates of 1% are available to multinationals channelling profits through Lux), in Ireland it's 12.5% (between 2-5% for foreign multinationals channelling profits via Ireland) 80% of Corporation tax in Ireland is paid by foreign firms.

Now, this corporation tax thing doesn't sit well with the EU who are preaching that they are doing the opposite, so a lot of pressure is being put on Ireland by the EU to increase corporation tax to 'normal levels', lets say 20%, the Irish aren't daft, they know 50% of their GDP could potentially be wiped out.
Ireland currently have a veto on some of their tax rules, how long this will last I wouldn't like to say, but if Ireland does cave in to the EU on this, and UK starts to lower it's corp tax (hint: Boris has set 'level playing fields' as a red line) a lot of business (mostly US owned) will leave, I wonder where that business will go.

Anyway, if Ireland are forced to increase corporation tax, what benefits would they have by staying in the EU?

Our payments equaled the same as the lowest 14 member states payments combined. It's a big hit for the EU to take.

Back