Euro Cylinder Locks

S

Shutpa

Am about to replace an unreliable cylinder lock.
Q1. Can I replace it with a lock with a thumb turn knob on the inside, and,
Q2. Are the single screws that hold these locks in place universal or does
each lock come with its own unique screw?

Sponsored Links
No reason why you couldn't replace it with a thumbturn - just make sure you get the correct size so that the outside is flush with the faceplate/escutcheon, and the inside gives you enough room to turn the thumbturn. I would advise fitting a letterbox restrictor to prevent unwanted hands/tools coming in through the letterbox and using your newly installed thumbturn to open the door.

The only cylinders I can think of that take a specific screw are union ovals. Anything else you should be ok, and a new cylinder will come with a securing screw anyhow.

Check with your insurance about fitting a thumb turn on an outside door, you are leaving yourself vunerable if anyone gets in through a window.

I changed the lock on my wooden front door and had to get a special one to satisfy the insurance as I wanted the euro cylinder and latch key to be the same. Euro cylinders are not 5 lever locks and therefore insurance companies don't usually like them.

Thumb turns are usually specified where there is a specific need to exit without a key - eg fire exits. In this instance, fire safety would be the main criteria, and not insurance - it's a fine line though, and definately check with your insurer before doing anything.

There are BS rated Euro locks, and these come with 6 pin cylinders and security escutcheons in addition to the usual plated lock cases. Insurance companies should have no problems with accepting these - so long as you don't change the cylinder. It should have been a simple job to key your rim cylinder and Euro alike - did you buy them together, or get a locksmith to re-key the rim cylinder after?

Sponsored Links
I fitted a Eurocylinder lock on Monday evening no problem at all.

It was made by Yale and they state a 6 pin design on the packet.
It uses keys both sides and cost less than £30.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back