Euro Cylinder Sizing - too long or too short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the euro cylinder on one of my doors. The one currently in there is a 50/50 but the external side is sticking out by about 5mm. So I think what I really need is a 50/45. The internal side (50) will have a thumb turn.

Unfortunately the cylinder I was hoping to get is only available in 50/40 or 50/50. So the external part will either stick out by 5mm again or be 5mm too short. Will one of those work fine?

I'm thinking if it's too short it would be awkward to use but if it's too long it might be easier to snap.

Sponsored Links
Normally also you can get shrouds that have some adjustability to them.

you can get a reinforcing metal plate, around 6mm thick. Does it have a doorhandle, or just the keyhole?

Shiny chrome, brushed stainless, brass plate, white, or what?

Is the door plastic?

trying to think of the brand name

It's a white uPVC door with handles on both sides. I was hoping to just swap out the cylinder though, not turn this into a larger job. The door is fine as it is, I just want to change the keys.

Sponsored Links
this is an example of a Kickstop Lockguard but there are others.

The screwholes are only on the inside of the door, they bolt-through to the outer plate

It gives some reinforcement to the door as well as protecting the cylinder.

Kickstop.jpg

sorry, too slow.

you could just fit a Eurocylinder escutcheon? A bolt-through is stronger than a surface mount.

escutcheon.jpg Escutcheon2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back