Euro Football

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
The ref may have been a bit a bit suspect, but it makes you wonder if David Beckhams off field problems are affecting his game. Much as I admire his skill, a player of his calibre shouldn't miss two penalties in the same campaign.

It must very difficult for him to put the recent allegations out of his mind.

Personally I believe what he says and hope all works out OK for him and his family.

Sponsored Links
I'm no footy fan at all, and without wishing to upset anyone, I think Beckham's a fool in his private life. Anyone who keeps his brains in his underpants deserves everything he gets. Takes two to tango, and if you love your family, you just don't do that sort of thing.

On-field though, I think he is waning. I don't think he will survive until the next Euro.

His penalty-taking is cr*p. But he thinks he's good at it, and that is dangerous.

On the disallowed goal, from where I was sitting, the Port goalie was physically hampered and prevented from getting to the ball (the England guy had his arm round the goalie), so I think the ref was right.

But all the refs fail to apply the rules, rigidly, for penalty taking.

Goal keeper can move side to side but must not move in the direction of the penalty spot UNTIL THE BALL IS KICKED.
Most of them are already halfway into the 6 yd box ... got a video? watch with stop motion.
I am sure you are not supposed to almost stop during run up to take the kick, I once saw a player stop prior to striking the ball, goalie was committed and dived to one side kicker strokes ball to opposite side of goal, ref orders retake !!
Body sway, 'dropping a shoulder' is how they usually send goalie the wrong way. Jimmy Greaves was ace at that in his time ... No matter how big the occasion he lapped up penalties, looked forward to an easy score.
P

Sponsored Links
Back