Eurocodes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody have information regarding the implementation of them?

We have just received this email...

As you may be aware the current British Standards are to be replaced by a system of Eurocodes on 31st March 2010. One such code to be replaced will be BS5930 “Code of Practice for Site Investigations”. This will be replaced by Eurocode BS EN 1997. The adoption of the Eurocodes will become obligatory throughout Europe, although each of the member states will have an annex to the code containing nationally derived parameters.

http://www.eurocodes.co.uk/Default.aspx

In that particular email, they mention...

Eurocode 7 makes compulsory the provision of a Ground Investigation Report as part of the development process. It specifies that this must include:-

- A presentation of all available geotechnical information including geological features.
- A factual account of all field and laboratory investigations.
- A geotechnical evaluation of the information.
- A statement of the methods adopted.
- All relevant information on how derived values were determined.

So... does that mean even more money has to be spent at the planning stage in order to carry out a ground investigation report for... all types of building work?

Sponsored Links
BS5930 “Code of Practice for Site Investigations" is 206 pages long and goes into a lot of detail. This is one of the British Standards which will be replaced by Eurocode 7 (BS EN 1997) but when you compare both they are quite similar.

I don't think there will be much difference compared to the way things work now.

I don't think there will be much difference compared to the way things work now.

As said in my post...

Eurocode 7 makes compulsory the provision of a Ground Investigation Report as part of the development process. It specifies that this must include:-

- A presentation of all available geotechnical information including geological features.
- A factual account of all field and laboratory investigations.
- A geotechnical evaluation of the information.
- A statement of the methods adopted.
- All relevant information on how derived values were determined.

Which indicates a Ground Investigation Report may be required at the planning stage, which is not requested at present, so that is somewhat a little different! More and more fee's to be paid prior to obtaining approval. Oh yay!

Which indicates a Ground Investigation Report may be required at the planning stage, which is not requested at present, so that is somewhat a little different! More and more fee's to be paid prior to obtaining approval. Oh yay!

The important word there is may which as I said is really no different to the position now.

In fact all of the developments I have been involved with have required a ground investigation report as a matter of course.

In fact BS EN 1997 now states "for structures and earthworks of low geotechnical complexity and risk.......simplified design procedures may be applied", so there might be less work, and costs, for me.

The full title of part 1 of the document is BS EN 1997-1:2004 Eurocode 7. Geotechnical design, General rules, meaning it was published in 2004 so it is hardly new anyway.

Sponsored Links
[In fact all of the developments I have been involved with have required a ground investigation report as a matter of course.

New buildings... then yes, but small residential extensions for example? That is the point I was making it. Will the need for a GIR be mandatory for those type of works?

New buildings... then yes, but small residential extensions for example? That is the point I was making it. Will the need for a GIR be mandatory for those type of works?
There is nothing in Eurocode 7 which says it will be mandatory, on the contrary it says;
Denso13 said:
In fact BS EN 1997 now states "for structures and earthworks of low geotechnical complexity and risk.......simplified design procedures may be applied"
I would think a simple extension would come into this category and won't require a GIR, but don't quote me on it :)

It won't happen. Small domestic developments will be planned just as they have always been - or should have been. Give the client the information and advice they need to make decisions based on common sense and economics. Remember, Bristish Standards (and Eurocodes) are codes of practice - not legal directives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back