Europa 228 wont stay lit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Europa boiler after I repressurised back up to 1.5 bars will not stay lit for the heating
It will ignite the boiler and start the heating process but will stop and then try to ignite again sometimes staying lit for enough time for the rads to heat up.
The lights that light to indicate a problem are the right stays green and the middle goes red.
The hot water side of the boiler is not affected.
Help please. [/b]

Sponsored Links
Europa is a brand name distributed by Graham. Mostly they are Ideal boilers.

There must be a model number somewhere. Better still a gc no. two numerals dash three numerals dash two numerals is the usual pattern, find it on the Manufacturers data badge, which is usually placed in a position to defeat the most flexible of heating engineers with good vision at a lux of 0-001. I.E on back of expansion vesssel necessitating boiler removal to locate, so pointless asking you to find it.

Could look in service instructions which ought to have been left with you as you signed on Benchmark log to state that you had been handed all the documentation and had boiler fully explained to you.

Sorry I'm chilling out having fun.

We need more info...

but in any case I don't like Ideal boilers except the old ones or the Classic.

Cheers Paul

The only numbers avialable are
gc 47-34827a
Model N004300704
The heating wont stay lit at all now.
Still hot water on demand.
Help the missus thinks its my fault the house is cold.

Hi Pegleggy

Ahhh the Europa. I would almost guarantee that you need a new diverter valve!!!

They have a tendency to fail in the exact way yours has.

i.e. boiler lights when heating is demanded, temp quickly rises in boiler but heat does not leave to the rads. Causes the boiler to reach temp in a matter of secs and turn off.

They are not too bad to change, as long as the bottom retaining nut is not siezed.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Thats very interesting!

The older Europa boilers I vaguely remember were generally similar to the Protherm and Icon.

However, the serial number is a Biasi format and the two green lights with a red in the middle is an M90 design feature. I therefore conclude that its a rebadged Mini 24 which is a rebadged Biasi.

The middle red light is a fault signal from the control board to indicate that the ignition pcb did not give a flame established signal within the allotted time. Usually, but not always, this would be accompanied by a flame failure red light in the centre.

I therefore conclude that IF the fault is on heating only and arises when the boiler flow temperature has reached the set temperature then the gas valve minimum setting of about 1.5 mB is not correct and is too low and failing to operate the flame detection.

This needs a CORGi engineer to test and set.

The dip switch should also be checked to ensure all poles are in a line towards the back of the boiler.

Tony

Thanks for the advice given and will let you know if we have sucess.
Please work to bring a smile to her face. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back