EV air keeps coming out when recharging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Onced I;ve recharged the expansion vessel and pull out the value for the pump, quite a lot of air comes out, and if I reconnect it to the EV value and check pressure, its dropped from 1 bar to 0.5-7 bar, how do I stop the air from escaping when pulling out the valve.

Sponsored Links
If the shrader valve is letting out air once the connector is removed then you need to replace it but if that was the case then it wouldn't hold any air at all. It just sounds like it's how you are taking the connector off of the valve, you just need to be quicker and more precise. either that or fill it with more air so by the time you get it off it's at the correct pressure. If it's @ 0.75 of a bar then that isn't so bad.

Not fast enough I guess. I am using this product:

You can see a lever on the end of the schrader connector. In order to get a tight fit I have to turn the lever (which takes a bit of force), and the same thing if I want to take it off. If there was no lever, I probably wouldn't lose as much air but I'm not sure if the lever is a feature of all schrader connectors, or whether there are specific ones for boilers which fit snug.

Last edited:
They are all much of a much, the lever serves two purposes, to open the schrader needle valve and to secure the connector, so ensure (obviously) that the lever is in line with the connector and DONT push it on until you hear air leaking out, just push it on a little and then turn the lever, if it has been pushed on sufficiently then you will see the air pressure when you turn the lever, then turn the lever back, remove the connector, you will get absolutely no air leakage this way.

Sponsored Links
The trick with them is push them down onto the valve with one hand firmly whilst locking the lever with the other. Pressing it down firmly onto the valve minimises lost air. Same when taking it off, push down on the connector firmly when unlocking the lever, then pull it up and off quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back