ev charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I ask ?? for a neighbour as much as myself?? a supply pole single phase (2 overhead wires) is very close to our property boundary, we both live adjacent a trunk road and both have exellent turning parking facilities as we are semi detached smallholdings.
I am sort of looking at the feasability of having 2 or poss 3 ev charging points within our grounds to act as a commercial top up location for EVs.
this may be a new metered supply from the pole, totally seperate from our domestic supplies, as anyone any thoughts on this... and what potential fast or superfast charger could be installed???..this is a totally of the cuff post with no basic research done by myself.
the reasoning behind this is we live on a main trunk road into mid wales and there are very few EV charging points available, and those that are are usuall in a queueing system, I suppose I am just looking for the commercial possibility of motorists pulling in...being charged a premium for charging there battery that would show a potential small profit!!

Any thoughts very welcome

Sponsored Links
1) Methinks your DNO would be best placed to answer your supply question.
2) This change of use of your premises might require Council planning approval and affect the ratable value of your property.
3) There will be insurance implications.

For single phase you will be limited to 7kW devices. You may be able to have more than one, but the total load is likely to be shared between them, so 3.5kW each for two and so on.
Even if a 14kW additional load was permitted, that's only 2x 7kW devices, or 14kW shared between 3 or more.
These are the type of thing used by people who will be parked there for at least a couple of hours, and would add about 20 to 25 miles of range per hour at the full 7kW, less at lower power.
Unless there are other facilities at the location or very nearby that people would be visiting anyway, it's entirely pointless.

For any rapid DC charging, a new dedicated 3 phase supply will be required, which will cost a substantial amount - well into 5 figures, could easily be 6
Rapid DC charging equipment starts from ~£20k each, plus associated switchgear, cubicle and so on, plus installation.

Sponsored Links
I live in mid Wales and where I work we have a pair of 22 kW charge points, main reason was we have three or four three phase supplies and it will cost more to have them removed to paying standing charge for 10 years, so may as well use the power.

However we do not collect the money direct, another company runs it for us, and there policy was to allow first 15 minutes free, to allow time to set up app, but we had to turn them off over night due to people unplugging after 15 minutes and plugging in again.

But what it relies on is to have some thing of interest for the occupants to do while car is charging, we run trains which take over 2 hours return.

So you would need at least a cafe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back