Even More Suprima 50 lockouts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Having gone through the forum and the overall mood for the potterton suprima boilers, has anyone contacted watchdog! The stress and hassel on these recurring problems is obviously now renowned. (Price of a reasonable holiday). I have tried most of the ideas given but am still on 6 to 7 resets a day on a board which is only two weeks old.

After the three boards and numerous visits to resolve my troubles I now give up on the Potterton as obviously the problems will return no matter what you do to help yourself.

My question to all is with the Gledhill Boilermate III HWS unit is there a boiler which works well with these units and approx. cost.

Sponsored Links
We normally fit the Ideal Classic boiler in conjunction with the Gledhill. It is a proven reliable boiler. Cost depends on system etc

Has anyone checked the wiring loom thoroughly? I know it takes some believing , but there are zillions of Suprimas working with no trouble for ever.

You reminded me I have to order another pcb for um, er, a , a boiler.

I know it takes some believing , but there are zillions of Suprimas working with no trouble for ever.

sorry chrisr but simply not true
get at least half a dozen calls a week on suprimas locking out. other service engineers I know and myself will no longer call out on intermittent lockout faults. I advise customers to bear with it if they can or wait until it happens so frequently that an engineer will at least have a better chance of diagnosing problem.

On a intermittent fault would the customer want to pay for engineers frequent call outs and parts by changing parts by process of elimination ?
I tell you they dont. They want their boiler repaired on first visit and expect the whole boiler to be guaranreed for a year.

Whilst a lot of people have said about faulty pcbs on this boiler which is a common fault not a zillion miles :D behind in the running is the sticking gas valve

Sponsored Links
I have an 80 thats just started lockout problems and judging by this forum, no one, not even Potterton can provide a difinitive solution.
Sounds like a good old fashioned design fault that would require some R&D by Potterton to sort out....but at £150 a PCB - a blatant rip off - why should they. Except that an awful lot of people will never buy a Potterton Boiler again (including me)
Could anyone recommend an alternative boiler of similar size and spec - life is too short to fault find this any more.....

I do about 6-8 of these a week now.
Why other engineers have a problem with these boilers I do not know,
A simple mod to the pcb and a slight adjustment elsewhere is all that is needed. Why replace the pcb?
frequancey of the resistors????
I would go more in depth but that would be telling.

Clue - new pcb is a bit different isn't it.

Certainly intermittewnt faults are a pain, and there are a lot of faulty Suprimas out there. But they must be one of the most numerous boilers in use. Maybe I've been ,ucky but the one's I've put in have been OK.

Lots of thr trubles come from the solder joints - not a design fault, more of a quality issue? Though some of the holes in the pcb seem to be too big, I guess that's by design.

Geeza are your mods a company secret?! Why not tell us. Resistors don't have frequencies, though...

Chris R

Frequncey of the charge as defined by the voltage of
the power source.
e.g
current will flow at first, then stop,
and flow in the opposite direction, then stop, etc. The higher the
frequency, the less likely it is that the capacitor has time to charge
fully, and current can flow more freely. So while low frequencies are
inhibited, higher frequencies can move more freely.

Thus this is where resistors can become a problem.

There are issues with suprimas apart from the pcb. loom & gas valve mainly.
90% of the time its my mod I use though.

Geeza
Would like to hear more on your mod - offsite if you like:
anotherletterbox @ aol . com

thanks
Chris

so geeza, is this mod official potterton or are you fully conversant with the entire workings down to component level of the pcb to such an extent that you have been able to diagnose the problem and come up with a suitable fix?
Or is this something passed on via the exlusive boiler engineering members only club?
c'mon, these forums are supposed to share info. If you never intender to help then why tease.

for the record the problem with my suprima is a sticking gas valve.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back